It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Monument to basketball's shot clock unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Interesting monument...I wonder how many people in Syracuse remember the Syracuse Nationals, though?

LINK

Dolph Schayes will never forget what basketball was like before Danny Biasone and Leo Ferris transformed it with the shot clock.

"Before the clock, there was no game at all," Schayes said Saturday at the unveiling of a monument in downtown Syracuse to the 24-second clock. "It would get into the second half, and the team that was ahead would just kill the ball, and then you'd have to foul. Then they would foul you, and the game would deteriorate. The game stunk! It was a march from one foul line to the other. Something had to be done."

It did -- on a sweltering day in August 1954. Biasone, one of the NBA's founding fathers as owner of the Syracuse Nationals from 1946-63, and Ferris, his general manager, introduced their 24-second version in a scrimmage in a small gym at Biasone's alma mater -- Blodgett Vocational High School in Syracuse.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
i saw a picture of the monument and i must say it was pretty ugly, there are probably about as many people in syracuse that remember the nats as there are people in rochester who remember the royals

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
How long has it been since each team was in the respective dity

I know that the royals are now the kings, I don't remember the nats, or are they the sixers?

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
they moved to philly in 1963

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
How 'bout the nats?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   
the nats moved to philly in 1963, the royals moved from rochester to cinncinatti in 1957

[Edited on 3/28/2005 by toejam]

new topics

top topics

join