It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Don Nelson steps aside, Avery Johnson fills in

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
In a none too surprising move, coach Don Nelson retired from the Dallas Mavaricks on Saturday, handing the reigns over to asistant AVery Johnson. With the health issues that have been bothering his wife, for which he has taken several leaves of absence this season, this just makes sense. And Johson will do a great job, I am sure.

ESPN article

Don Nelson called the Dallas Mavericks into a group after their morning shootaround like he had so many times. Then he told them he was done coaching, and handed his whistle to Avery Johnson.

The 64-year-old Nelson also had the title of general manager, but most of those duties were done by his son, Donnie, the team's president of basketball operations. The elder Nelson will stay with the team as a consultant.

"Nellie has earned the right to approach this any way he wants," team owner Mark Cuban said. "I just wanted to be supportive of any direction he wants to go."

[Edited on 24/3/05 by TRD]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
So far, Avery Johnson is 3-0 as the official head coach of the Mavericks. Granted his three wins came against mediocre teams, Hornets, Bobcats and Warriors, but he brings intangibles to the table that Don Nelson didn't. He's tough on the players and he preaches defense a lot harder than Don ever did. The Mavericks players are responding much better to Avery than they were for Don, which is a major reason why Don stepped down. We can judge Avery Johnson better as he coaches against better team, but so far he's done an excellent job in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Sacramento, Clevland, Detroit, Boston, Philly, Cleveland again, over the next week and a half. I think we'll see what they are made of...

new topics

join