It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Japanese youngsters eyes 2006 tour

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Japanese teenage sensation Ai Miyazato could make her debut on the Ladies' Professional Golf Association Tour as early as 2006.

Miyazato, who shot a final-round 67 on Sunday to help her country win the inaugural Women's World Cup of Golf at Fancourt, George in South Africa, has already become a cult figure on the Japanese Women's tour, amassing more than US$1million (£533,000) in prize money in her rookie year.

After her latest victory, she could play one more year in Japan before furthering her career in America.

"I have my tour card in Japan this year, so I will go to America in 2006," she said after her team's two-shot victory.

Miyazato is a major celebrity in her own country, with almost 50 journalists travelling to South Africa to watch her in the World Cup event. Scotland had a share of the overnight lead but Rui Kitada and Miyazato held on after an unconvincing back nine. Kitada shot an 82 on the final day, which gave England pair Laura Davies and Karen Stupples a chance to put on the pressure, but Miyazato's 67 was enough to secure victory.

"We feel very proud to have won this event and to be able to perform for our country like this," Miyazato added.

"And with this win we hope to send a big message of encouragement to those woman golfers back home that we are proud of what we have achieved.

"It was pretty big, probably the biggest of my career. It was a really tough day out there for me and I knew I needed to play well."

Sportinglife

[Edited on 14/2/05 by TRD]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Is this the beginning of an asian invasion in golf?

join