It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Japan won the inaugural Women's World Cup of Golf

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Scotland could not hold on to their overnight lead as Japan won the inaugural Women's World Cup of Golf in South Africa.

Catriona Matthew and Janice Moodie shared the lead going into the final day at the Links course at Fancourt Hotel and Country Club Estate. The Scottish pair were in contention going into the back nine but Rui Kitada and Ai Miyazato, the youngest pair in the tournament, held on for the USD200,000 prize money.

They finished two shots clear of Jennifer Rosales and Dorothy Delasin from the Philippines and the Korean pair of Jeong Jang and Bo Bae Song. The rest of the field were given a glimmer of hope as Kitada appeared to wilt under the pressure, even England pair Laura Davies and Karen Stupples had a chance to put pressure on leaders.

But the Japan pair both birdied the 17th to hold on for victory.

"The putt at the 17th was the biggest putt of my career," Kitada. "It was very difficult for me out there today and I felt that I was dragging my partner back on the back nine. That putt saved me and my team."

Miyazato added: "That's probably the best front nine I have ever played under pressure.

"I didn't feel any pressure as Rui was not playing her best and I was trying to help her out and concentrate on my own game. When she was down, I just brought myself up.

"This means so much to us and to our country and we are both very happy. We came here thinking we wanted to win it, and now we have, it is a great feeling."

Sportinglife

join