posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:02 PM
Joe Calzaghe is set to defend his WBO super-middleweight title against Brian Magee at Belfast's King's Hall on March 18.
The Welshman has agreed to venture to Magee's home city for the first time to make the 16th defence of his belt. Calzaghe said: "The King's Hall is a
legendary venue where all the great Irish fighters have fought and I'm honoured to follow in their footsteps.
"Magee is a good fighter and I know he will come to fight. He's been calling me out for a while so now he's got his wish."
Calzaghe recently pulled out of a bout scheduled for Friday night in Manchester citing the need for more time to prepare. This is a make-or-break year
for Calzaghe who is considering a move up to light-heavyweight to chase undisputed champion Glencoffe Johnson. Ulsterman Magee lost his IBO title to
former Calzaghe victim Robin Reid in June last year but subsequently bounced back with a seventh-round stoppage of Neil Linford.
Magee said: "Calzaghe is a great champion and has been number one for a long time with 15 defences of his title but I can assure you this will be his
"I'm supremely confident and ready for this opportunity and I am looking forward to winning the title."
The bout is subject to approval from the WBO and Peter Kohl, promoter of Calzaghe's mandatory challenger Mario Veit.