It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXER: Junior Witter lands N'Dou clash

page: 1

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:00 PM
Junior Witter has landed an ambitious Commonwealth title clash against South African Lovemore N'Dou in Los Angeles next week.

The Bradford man has been given a huge chance to shine on the undercard of Bernard Hopkins' world middleweight title defence against Londoner Howard Eastman. Tough N'Dou lost on points to the brilliant Miguel Cotto in a world title bid last year and is highly-ranked by all the world governing bodies.

Witter was to have met Gianluca Branco in a WBC light-welterweight title eliminator until the Italian pulled out last week. Witter's promoter Mick Hennessy said: "Branco's withdrawal may have paved the way for an even more explosive tussle.

"We had a strong feeling that Branco was going to pull out so we had been talking to N'Dou's people for four weeks.

"Now he has the chance to challenge for Junior's belt. He has agreed on the figures and his team has verbally accepted the fight."

The match gives Witter a great chance to prove himself to the American public following his much-criticised IBF title defeat to Zab Judah in June 2000. Nottingham's highly-rated super-middleweight Carl Froch will also be given a big chance on the superb Staples Center bill. Froch, who has been in Miami sparring with Eastman for the past month, will meet an as-yet unnamed opponent. Froch, who has won all 14 of his professional fights so far, said he relished performing in such a big pay-per-view audience.

Froch said: "This is a natural progression for me as I look to assert myself on the world stage.

"With the Americans watching I'm out to impress and fireworks are guaranteed. Whoever my opponent is, they are going out with a clean KO."