It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Wayne McCullough vows to box on

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Wayne McCullough has vowed to pursue his dream of a second world title despite defeat at the hands of WBC super-bantamweight champion Oscar Larios.

In the early hours in California, Mexican Larios retained his title with a unanimous points decision over 34-year-old McCullough, with the judges offering wide margins of 118-109, 118-110 and 116-11. McCullough felt the scoring was "way off" - as did many at ringside - after 12 hard rounds in which the initiative often fluctuated. Indeed, McCullough's pressure seemed to give him the edge at the halfway mark before Larios gradually took the upper hand but every round was contested with great intensity.

"I'm not even thinking about retirement. I want to go home to Vegas and regroup and plan where I go from here," said McCullough, who left Larios with a nasty cut over his eye.

"I'm very disappointed with the result but I showed that I can still take on the very best. I forced the fight the whole way and I got through with some great body punches.

"I thought I won the early stages and then from rounds seven to 10 he probably got on top but then I came strong again in the 10th.

"At the end I thought I may have got the decision. It was certainly a lot closer than the judges had it.

"I could have done with more fights before this but I don't make excuses. I gave it everything."

Many felt that after his severe beating by WBO featherweight champion Scott Harrison two years the time was right for the Belfast man to retire.

But he added: "I think I showed in this fight that the Harrison fight was a one-off. "I wasn't right going into the fight and I never got going.

"I showed in this fight that I am back to where I was. I think I proved a point."

Such was the intensity of the duel that Larios may have to postpone his scheduled clash with WBO champion Joan Guzman for April 9.

Sportinglife

join