It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Foster flattens Colombian

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Steve Foster jnr pulled off the best punch of his career to claim the WBU featherweight title against Colombian Livinson Ruiz in Manchester.

The 24-year-old flattened his opponent with a magnificent left hook in the 10th round and sparked jubilant scenes as referee Dave Parris counted him out.

Foster had got the better of a tough scrap with the little-known Colombian who came to Britain boasting 16 wins from 21 professional fights. The Salford man always produced the cleaner work and had Ruiz in trouble in the second round from a fine right hand.

Foster's patient approach was paying dividends until the sixth round when he looked to finish the job by blasting Ruiz back into the ropes. But the South American served notice that he too had designs on the title by putting Foster briefly in trouble from a good left hand. Steadily Foster reasserted his dominance and picked his winning shot perfectly to claim the title in some style.

In doing so Foster increased his unbeaten professional record to 18 fights and went one better than his famous father, Steve 'The Viking' Foster, who came up short in three bids for versions of the world title in his career.

With his proud dad looking on, Foster junior said: "It was a tough fight which was what I expected but the left hook just came naturally and finished the job.

"He did sting me a few times but it did not set me back for long and I just needed to get my bearings."

Sportinglife

new topics

join