It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Make Faldo captain: Jacklin

page: 1

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 03:22 PM
Former European Ryder Cup captain Tony Jacklin believes Nick Faldo should replace Bernhard Langer for the 2006 matches at the K Club in the Republic of Ireland.

Six-times major winner Faldo, Ian Woosnam, Jose Maria Olazabal and Sandy Lyle are in the running to succeed 2004 captain Langer, who last week ruled out a second term in charge.

"Nick Faldo's major wins and his career set him aside, quite frankly, from anyone else," said Jacklin, 60, from his Florida home.

"When you've been in the arena as he has for so many years, nobody knows better what it takes.

"I think he very much deserves the honour. Should he be passed up this time, he may not get it again.

"He's not always said the right things at the right time but he and I have maintained a friendship for many years.

"He was great for my team. He would be my first choice."

Jacklin led Europe to two Ryder Cup victories and a tie with the United States in his four spells in charge.

Although Englishman Faldo was considered aloof in the 1980s and 1990s when he single-mindedly dedicated himself to becoming the game's leading player, Jacklin holds him in high esteem.

"I can only speak for myself and how he was for my teams. Certainly Nick, for me, was always a straight-shooter and very honest about how he felt on a given moment," said the 1969 British Open and 1970 US Open champion.

Europe's 2006 captain is expected to be announced on March 2, the day before the start of the Dubai Desert Classic.

AF Press

new topics