It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Agassi to return to Davis Cup after five-year absence

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Andre Agassi will return to the U.S. Davis Cup team after a five-year absence, The Associated Press learned Monday.

The U.S. Tennis Association planned to announce Monday or Tuesday that Agassi will rejoin the squad for its first-round match against Croatia on March 4-6 at Carson, Calif., a tennis source told the AP on condition of anonymity. The eight-time Grand Slam tournament champion, who turns 35 in April, stopped playing Davis Cup after 2000 as part of a scaled-back schedule geared to peaking for the majors.

He was a member of three Davis Cup championship teams, going 30-5 in singles. Current U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe traveled to Agassi's hometown of Las Vegas after the Australian Open to meet for dinner and try to persuade him to return to the team.

"Some of my greatest memories are playing Davis Cup," Agassi said last week in a conference call. "The regrets I have about not playing are regrets I've had for the last few years, and still remain that way, which is being a part of a new generation and trying to win the Davis Cup again."

The United States has won the competition a record 31 times, but not since 1995 - the team's longest drought since the gap between titles in 1926 and 1937. The Americans lost to Spain in last year's Davis Cup final.

"At this time, we're not prepared to make any announcement regarding the USA vs. Croatia Davis Cup first round," USTA spokesman Randy Walker said Monday. "We'll certainly inform everybody when Patrick is ready to name the team."

Associated Press

join