It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US bans anti-war countries from Iraq deals

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:07 AM
link   
seems the pentagon and bush are not really talking. i just read that bush wanted to ask those countrys to lett go of old debts that iraq has in these countrys..but he, no contracts and then asking for this, funny folks over there..doesnt this also looks like, destroy and then get mad money rebuilding the place. Sounds like a good reason for a war right...

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Still, it is a little two-faced for other countries who refused to help in the mission to now want to reap a profit from the rebuilding. Its not like they are all offering to do it for free.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jozuph
seems the pentagon and bush are not really talking. i just read that bush wanted to ask those countrys to lett go of old debts that iraq has in these countrys..but he, no contracts and then asking for this, funny folks over there..doesnt this also looks like, destroy and then get mad money rebuilding the place. Sounds like a good reason for a war right...

That's what I mean, who the # does Bush think they are? I can't believe the American people let this #er do whatever he wants. No one questions what is happenening and it puts the US at even greater RISK.
I always liked the phrase, "defend my country against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC"

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I got news for some of you.....most Americans FIRMLY believe that only those countries who lent us assistance in Iraq should get a shot at US taxpayer dollars to rebuild Iraq.

If the Pentagon where to award major contracts to France, Germany and Russia, most Americans would be outraged.

It cracks me up that these spineless wonders all were against invading Iraq, yet are first in line to soak up some big profits rebuilding the land where there is alot of American and British blood on the ground.

Payback is a beeotch, you know?

[Edited on 11-12-2003 by Pyros]

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 08:58 AM
link   
18 billion dollars OF OUR TAX MONEY and France and Germany want a peice of it??? that's male bovine #, if you ask me. And, I envision France and Germany subsidizing their companies that bid to undercut US and other coalition members bids.

Now, money offered by nations who didn't support the war should get that amount in bids. But, the 18bn we're putting up should go to coalition partners, and especially those have who have troops on the ground.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Just to point a fact out to you, if it wasn't for France, the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA would NOT exist. How do you repay France for saving american a$$ in the war of independence? Try to bully them into going against the UN and start a war with Iraq? So I guess you do believe 2 wrongs make a right?

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
uh, wtf are you talking about? Could we stay on topic, please? pretty please?

Originally posted by mooseofterror
Just to point a fact out to you, if it wasn't for France, the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA would NOT exist. How do you repay France for saving american a$$ in the war of independence? Try to bully them into going against the UN and start a war with Iraq? So I guess you do believe 2 wrongs make a right?

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
I got news for some of you.....most Americans FIRMLY believe that only those countries who lent us assistance in Iraq should get a shot at US taxpayer dollars to rebuild Iraq.

If the Pentagon where to award major contracts to France, Germany and Russia, most Americans would be outraged.

It cracks me up that these spineless wonders all were against invading Iraq, yet are first in line to soak up some big profits rebuilding the land where there is alot of American and British blood on the ground.

Payback is a beeotch, you know?

[Edited on 11-12-2003 by Pyros]

so you mean that the usa did start this war just to earn money ??...cause otherwise why should the country that destroyed it rebuild it...maybe its saver if one of the countries who where against the war do that..just to be on the save side, since we cannot really trust the usa can we ;]

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
uh, wtf are you talking about? Could we stay on topic, please? pretty please?

WTF are YOU talking about? 2 wrongs, 1 Attacking Iraq against against UN recommendation and 2 handing out contracts to countries that supported this act of defiance. Hence, still on topic!!!! Read the whole thread! You got a problem with that Bobby? YOU need to post something pertinent. I am trying to address points that others are using as excuses for the reason for the way the US is handling these contracts. Don't let your beliefs influence your duties as an administrator.

[Edited on 11-12-2003 by mooseofterror]

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 09:31 AM
link   

cause otherwise why should the country that destroyed it rebuild it...

As if Iraq wasn't emaciated before the US got there? I'd bet any damage done by the war has been probably fixed, in one way or another, and then some.

This about rebuilding Iraq, not getting it back to pre-war standards.

[Edited on 11-12-2003 by Bob88]

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88

cause otherwise why should the country that destroyed it rebuild it...

As if Iraq wasn't emaciated before the US got there? I'd bet any damage done by the war has been probably fixed, in one way or another, and then some.

This about rebuilding Iraq, not getting it back to pre-war standards.

hihi so ure saying that just because it didnt looked like your garden its worth nothing and destroying it is no problem..I think the usa has no rights to tell other countrys how they should live, let alone the way the build up there country..is there a countrys that says to the usa, you can not build two high towers because they will be tumbled anyway ?? No right, get out of the idea that yall know how others should live and when..thats maybe a good thing to start with for u too.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 09:53 AM
link   
earthtone commented:
"Believe me Jungle Jake you would most probably see more 'made in USA' stickers if anything."

Well....according to what I found, I have serious doubts about what you stated above.

The arms sales to Iraq during 1973-2002:

USSR : 25145 : 57%
France : 5595 : 13%
China :5192 : 12%
Czechoslovakia : 2880 : 7%
Poland : 1681 : 4%
Brazil : 724 : 2%
Egypt : 568 : 1%
Romania : 524 : 1%
Denmark : 226 : 1%
Libya : 200 : 1%
USA : 200 : 1%
South Africa : 192 : 0%
Austria : 190 : 0%
Switzerland : 151 : 0%
Yugoslavia : 107 : 0%
Germany (FRG) : 84 : 0%
Italy : 84 : 0%
UK : 79 : 0%
Hungary : 30 : 0%
Spain : 29 : 0%
East Germany (GDR) : 25 : 0%
Canada : 7: 0%
Jordan : 2 : 0%

Is it just me or am I seeing and reading things wrong....were not Russia, France, and China the first three countries to object to the war with Iraq?

I mean, geez.....
* Most of Iraq's hand weapons and such were Russian made and bought.
* Most of Iraq's Armor was Russian made and bought.
* The majority of material for Iraq's former Nuclear program was supplied by France.
* Saddam's debt or now Iraq's debt is mainly to: Russia and France.

You then mention:
"It was the U.S that put Saddam in power don't forget."

Ahh, you mean when the US mainly, but backed by a few other nations, overthrew the democratically elected leader of Iraq back in 1953 and replaced him with a dictator?

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 11-12-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by the HYPOCRITE jozuph

hihi so ure saying that just because it didnt looked like your garden its worth nothing and destroying it is no problem..I think the usa has no rights to tell other countrys how they should live, let alone the way the build up there country..is there a countrys that says to the usa, you can not build two high towers because they will be tumbled anyway ?? No right, get out of the idea that yall know how others should live and when..thats maybe a good thing to start with for u too.

Dude, you make no sence at all!
How about you take your own advice?
Most of your posts on this board is name calling christians for believing in god.
So you get out of the idea that you know how others should live and how.....Moron

Pick the third finger from either side!
A gift from the USA!

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:16 AM
link   

HMMMMM lets see here......
Go to france and check out the grave yards for soldiers.
I bet you will see more American soldiers burried there from world war 2, than french soldiers for the last 400 years.
When did France save American ass?
You are wrong, go back to history class.
We saved our own ass.
France didn't do that much, no more than spain. Besides, if England didn't have their hands full with the old colonial boys here, they would have turned their sights on France and whiped Europes ass with the French.
So inderectly, we saved Frances ass once again!

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Iraqis should get first crack at all the contracts. That's just the only way to do it. Like the book thing...we invaded their country and re-wrote their history (bull# to begin with). There was an Iraqi company that could have printed the new books but instead the no bid contract went to a british company and the books took weeks instead of days to arrive. The cost was tens of thousands over what it would have cost if the Iraqis did it themselves.

Iraq isn't rubble. Have any of you watched the coverage? There are small towns and large towns just like in every country in the world. They have university and engineers and companies that worked under the old regime. They can rebuild their own country. They should be given a chance to do this--with unemployment running at 80% over there we want to bring in americans and foreigners in to do their jobs...here's some advice how about create some jobs here at home and start repairing our own infastructure.

Arguing over this is ignorant. This is basically war profiteering. I don't think France and Russia and China and Germany should get contracts just like I don't think Americans should get contracts. The world is full of greedy land grabbing tyrants. Look to your own nation for hipocracy.

"We didn't support this illegal war war but not to let us profit from it is illegal"

"Well, we supported the war we should profit from it"

nah, nah, nah...that's not liberation that domination. Fat cats at a table dividing up the spoils subjectating the population, an educated polulation at that.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I agree w/ that Saph - if the Iraqi's could do the job, supply the stuff, fine. I'd not mind my tax money going towards that, at all. But, I can't believe the nerve of France and Germany wanting OUR tax money when they opposed this every step of the way - but, now they'll help rebuild since they can make money off it? money that is coming out of our [the US tax payer] pockets?? You've gotta be #tin' me! The motivations of France and Germany were never about peace, it continues to be about money.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The U.S. should have told France,Germany, and Russia sure you can have contracts. After every country that is a part of the coalition has had a chance to throw their bids in. On the surface it would sound like they would get a contract for this or that,but in reality after every other country including Iraq gets all the contracts there would be nothing left for them.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I don't understand this.

France (earlier this year): We are your moral superiors you stupid Americans and we do not support your corrupt war.

France (now): Hey guys since you did it anyways and there's development going on... how's about a piece for your french pals?

Give me a break. Stick to your guns at least.

As stated in a post above, the first choice for these contracts should be Iraqi companies since they really need the money anyways. What better way to help a new free economy start out than to give them big contracts developing their own country?

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It doesn't bother me at all that the anti-war countries are being shut out on new contracts.

Get your own people shot at and killed, you started the war, you caused most of the "infrastructure" damage and you will reap whatever there is to reap.

What is there to reap? A lot of blood and dead bodies for military families to mourn over. And a lot of money for CEO's of corporations which the average American will not only never see a cent of, but will PAY taxdollars to ensure is protected.

You got the shaft, and now you want to share it? Haha, no thanks.

$87 billion to reconstruct Iraq? And no bid contracts extended to Dubya's campaign contributors at exorbitant prices? Wow, where do I sign up?
Where can I make sure that my grandchildren are still footing the bill for this fiasco while major corporations are making millions?

jakomo

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Point 1,Seekerof you got a link for those stats?
Otherwise they are useless.During the cold war Iraq was allied to the west and Iran to the USSR.When talking about money you must also consider inflation.What Saddam bought before 1991 will have cost less than what he bought after.Therefore amount of weapons CANNOT be calculated in Dollars.

Point 2,I believe Canada is reconsidering the aid it had promised the USA for Iraq because of this.

The fact that the Pentagon feel they have the power to do this shows the true nature of the relationship between the USA and Iraq.This is not the benevolent liberators of Iraq but the Imperial Occupier.

I'm sure the difference will not go unnoticed to all those people who hope to recrute new terroroists in that other war the USA promised it's people had priority.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join