It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Superbowl 39

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
Ben

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Ladies and Gentleman, boys and girls, people of all ages get perpared for the biggest sports event to come to television, ITS SUPERBOWL 39, and this year its the Pats, yet again, and the Eagles, who finally got past that NFC championship game.

This Sunday, February 6, 2005, the Pats and the Eagles will face off to decide who will be the NFL Superbowl champs. Yes this is going to be a great game, but is it going to be as great as we think its going to be, in my words no.

The Only teams that could braely stand a chance to hope to knock off the defending superbowl champs, and winners in the past 2 of 3 years, where all in the AFC. Lets face it the NFC is weak as weak can be. No team in the NFC will have the power and poise to stand up and knock off the Pats. I don't care if you have a Player like TO and McNabb, they haven't faced a defesne in the Pats and the coching of Big Bill.

Lets face also, that the past how many years, the Eagles came up short in the Championship game, maybe because of nerves, and now they are setting foot in what has seem to become the Pats home field. The SuperBowl! The Pats know already how to play their emotions in this big game, and the Eagles don't. And that is what it bascially comes down to is emotions and learning how to control them. The Pats have done it year in and year out.

Bill is going to come out with a gameplan that is going to stuff the Eagles offesne and have the eagles defense all confused. When you think the pats are going to pass they run, when you think they are going to run they pass for a td. You really don't know what you are going to get when you are playing the Pats, and that is going to continue.

I haven't seen one good thing from the eagles this season, sure they made the playoffs, won their divison, won the NFC championship game, but wait that is just a thing its the NFC championship, not the AFC, the NFC is weak a team of 8-8 made the playoffs, where in the AFC a team of 8-8 won't even come close to making it. The NFC was a lack league this season, so the eagles haven't really faced a challenge. Sure they faced teh Steelers, but guess what, they humilated themselves in that game, and now they are expecting to faace the Pats, who litterally ran over the Steelers in the Champ game.

Lets face it, the Pats have become a destiny under Big Bill and tom Brady, and this defense that is nasty as nasty cane be. And now this season they have a 1,500 plus rusher. How in the world do you stop this team!? Its simple you dont, and they are going to win their 3rd superbowl in 4 years. Watch out for next season when they might pull off an undefeated season, when they are actually healthy. Yes if you look at this defense now they arnt healthy, and they are still going to win, because they play as a team, something the Eagle won't understand as long as they have TO on their team.

Thats all for today kids........Enjoy the Pats winning their 3rd superbowl in 4 years.

This is Ben Irvine Singning out

Copyright, Sportztawk Staff

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I'm with you, man. The Eagles don't stand a chance.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
is it my imagination or is this super bowl the least anticipated one in years? this years game seems to lack the build up and the excitment of any other super bowl week that i can recall, the hype even seems to be low key this year....is this matchup really that bad?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
is this matchup really that bad?

I don't think so. I think it will be an enjoyable game. Remember that 3 of the 4 starting DB's for the Eagles are going to the Probowl. This is going to be a good defensive game. Still I don't see the Eagles winning this one, Pats 24-20.

Also TO will not make a difference. If Mcnabb has to throw the ball away and TO is open, I'd throw it to him. Otherwise I'd use him as a distraction. 7 weeks off? He'll be rusty as hell, drop balls on critical downs.

[Edited on 2/3/05 by truenorth]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I think its going to be closer than people think. The Eagles are in the superbowl after all for a reason, and that is because they can win ball games, lets not forget they made it this far without TO.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I think it's either close, or a blowout by the Pats. Either way, I agree with this quote -

"It's really pretty simple: In the previous XXXVI Super Bowls, the team that scored the most points won.'
David Whitley

TRD

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The Eagles have surprised a few as they thought they would choke, but hey they made the final. The Pats have been playing well all season and do look like they might again win, but i wouldn't count the Eagles out. They can do some damage on both fronts and i think it could either way.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
here is how the teams match up, on paper it looks to be a close game, won't be long and we will know how the teams match up on the field

Game matchup

Patriots Eagles
4-1 (beat St. Louis, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Pittsburgh; lost to Pittsburgh) Record vs. common opponents 1-3 (beat Baltimore; lost to Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Cincinnati)

NFC, 4-0 Record vs. conference AFC, 2-2
15-10 Playoff record 16-15
Won last four Current trend 8-2 in last 10
Won 41-27 at Pittsburgh (AFC Championship Game) Last game Won 27-10 vs. Atlanta (NFC Championship Game)
2003, won 32-29 vs. Carolina Last Super Bowl appearance 1980, lost 27-10 vs. Oakland

Head coaches

Patriots Eagles
Bill Belichick Name Andy Reid
Fifth Years with team Sixth
96-72 (.571) Overall record 70-34 (.673)
9-1 (.900) Playoff record 7-4 (.636)

Team leaders

Patriots Eagles
Tom Brady (3,692 yards, 28 TDs, 14 interceptions) Passing Donovan McNabb (3,875 yards, 31 TDs, eight interceptions)
Corey Dillon (1,635 yards, 12 TDs) Rushing Brian Westbrook (812 yards, three TDs)
David Givens (874 yards, three TDs) Receiving Terrell Owens (1,200 yards, 14 TDs)
Willie McGinest (9 1/2) Sacks Jevon Kearse (7 1/2)
Eugene Wilson (4) Interceptions Lito Sheppard (5)

Team statistics

Patriots Eagles
357.6 (7th) Total offense 351.1 (9th)
27.3 (4th) Points scored 24.1 (8th)
310.8 (9th) Total defense 319.7 (10th)
16.3 (T-2nd) Points allowed 16.3 (T-2nd)
+11 (6th) Turnover differential +6 (T-11th)
21.5 (6th) First downs per game 18.8 (T-14th)
45 (T-3rd) Sacks 47 (2nd)

Pro Bowlers

Patriots Eagles
3 (QB Brady, DT Richard Seymour, K Adam Vinatieri, special-teamer Larry Izzo) 9 (WR Owens, QB McNabb, OT Tra Thomas, LB Jeremiah Trotter, CB Sheppard, SS Michael Lewis, FS Brian Dawkins, K David Akers, special-teamer Ike Reese)

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It appears that Gibbs ("Pats don't get past the first round") is singing a different tune! My Lord, back to back victories over Indy and Steeltown - and both in convincing fashion. My oh my! And some of you dolts never saw it coming. When will you finally learn to listen to and obey Ming!!??

Gibbenberger, why oh why did you so underestimate the Pats? What were you thinking? Do you now know why you were so flagrantly wrong? Speak! Ming commands you.

Ming predicts a closer SB game than some may be expecting. Ming expects a Pats win but in a low scoring squeaker. Both defenses are pretty good and teams (especially 1st timers, can you say Eagles?) often tend to play more conservatively in the SBowl.

Philly has a good defense and some very talented offensive weapons, especially Westbrook. As is often the case, if the Pats can control the line of scrimmage - game over.

Ming does not think the Pats will beat the spead (7 points?), altough they have done so in 13 of the last 16 games or so.

Reid & Belichick: both hardworking, decent guys. No Martz/Cowher-like BS with these coaches.

Brady & McNabb: 2 of the classiest QBs in the NFL.

This should make for a good game and from where Ming sits (in his Court surrounded by admirers) there is plenty of anticipation for this game.

All those disagreeing with Ming shall report to hm after the NE victory.

All right, you are all dismissed. Ming is done. Leave now.

[Edited on 2/5/05 by MingMercil]

TRD

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Ming how a few members on here would love for the Pats to get beat..

I think it will be a close battle aswell, but it all depends on how the Eagles approach the game. They have to take it to the Pats or else they are going to get steamrolled. I would like to see the Eagles win but i guess you can't have everything or can you.....

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Explain yourself, TRD.

Why would anyone want NE to lose - other than the fact that they may be jealous of their success.

There are no jerks on the Pats. This is a well-schooled, hardworking, respectful group of blue clollar assassins. They have bought into Belichick's program and it works. If they do what he says, they win. No dissension. No BS. Just execution.

No showboating. No badmouthing. No disrespect to their opponents. No glamour guys. No over the top end zone celebrations. No Sharpies or cell phones.

So what's the problem?

If the Pats start acting like jerks, they will lose Ming's support and deserve to be put dpwn. Unless and until that happens, show them the respect they have earned and desrve by playing hard nosed, SMART football with a 6th, that's 6th !!!, round draftee Tom Brady at the helm.

You would prefer T.O. and Freddie Mitchell? Unless we are talking a rarified version of pure green-eyed jealousy and resentment of a winning team, Ming does not get it.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Personally I like both teams, top to bottom. One question, if the Pats win today, as I believe they will, do we mention them in the same breath as the 70's Steeler, 80's Niners, 90's Cowboy's?

TRD

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Ming you missed the point.

Certain members would like to get back at you if the Pats lose...

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
everything you wanted to know about the super bowl

The basics

At stake: National Football League Championship for the Vince Lombardi Trophy.
Participants: Philadelphia Eagles (NFC) and New England Patriots (AFC). This is the fifth appearance for New England and the second appearance for Philadelphia.
Site: ALLTEL Stadium, Jacksonville, Fla., seating capacity 76,877. This is the first game hosted by Jacksonville.

Attendance: To date, 2,984,890 have attended Super Bowl games. The largest crowd was 103,985 at the 14th Super Bowl at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Ca.
Network TV coverage: Televised on FOX to more than 200 stations throughout the United States plus Bermuda and Guam.
Radio coverage: On CBS Radio/Westwood One to 500 stations within the United States. The Armed Forces Television will also provide broadcast throughout the world. The game will be distributed internationally by the NFL and NFL International to 230 countries.
Players share: Winners: $68,000 per man. Losers: $36,500 per man.

The "home" team: The NFC's Eagles will be the home team, use the West bench, and will have their choice of wearing their colored or white jerseys.

In the event of a tie: If the game is tied at regulation time 60 minutes, it will continue in sudden death overtime. The team scoring first (by safety, field goal, or touchdown) will win. At the end of regulation playing time, the referee will immediately toss a coin at the center of the field, in accordance with rules pertaining to the usual pre-game toss. The captain of AFC team (the home team) will call the toss. Following a three-minute intermission after the end of the regular game, play will continue by 15-minute periods with a two-minute intermission between each such overtime period with no halftime intermission. The teams will change goals between each period, there will be a two-minute warning at the end of each period.

Trophy: The winning team receives permanent possession of the Vince Lombardi Trophy, a sterling silver trophy created by Tiffany & Company and presented annually to the winner of the Super Bowl. The trophy was named after the late coach Vince Lombardi of the two-time Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers prior to the 1971 Super Bowl. The trophy is a regulation silver football mounted in a kicking position on a pyramid-like stand of three concave sides. The trophy stands nearly 21 inches tall, weighs 6.7 pounds and is valued in excess of $25,000. The words "Vince Lombardi" and "Super Bowl XXXIX" are engraved on the base along with the NFL shield.

Trends and assorted vital statistics
Scoring

Team scoring first has won 26 of 38 Super Bowls (68.4%)
Team leading after the first quarter has won 20 of 28 Super Bowls (71.4%)
Team leading at halftime has won 30 of 37 Super Bowls (81.1%)

COST OF LIVING LARGE: SUPER BOWL TICKETS
Year Site Ticket price
2005 ALLTELL Stadium, Jacksonville, Fla. $600, $500
2004 Reliant Stadium, Houston $500
2003 Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego $500, $400
2002 Superdome, New Orleans $400
2001 Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Fla. $325
2000 Georgia Dome, Atlanta $325
1999 Pro Player Stadium $325
1998 Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego $275
1997 Superdome, New Orleans $275
1996 Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, Ariz. $350, $250, $200
1995 Joe Robbie Stadium, Miami $200
1994 Georgia Dome, Atlanta $175
1993 Rose Bowl, Pasadena, Ca. $175
1992 Metrodome, Minneapolis $150
1991 Tampa Stadium $150
1990 Superdome, New Orleans $125
1989 Joe Robbie Stadium, Miami $100
1988 Jack Murphy Stadium, San Diego $100
1987 Rose Bowl, Pasadena, Ca. $75
1986 Superdome, New Orleans $75
1985 Stanford (Ca.) Stadium $60
1984 Tampa (Fla.) Stadium $60
1983 Rose Bowl, Pasadena, Ca. $40
1982 Silverdome, Pontiac, Mich. $40
1981 Superdome, New Orleans $40
1980 Rose Bowl, Pasadena, Ca. $30
1979 Orange Bowl, Miami $30
1978 Superdome, New Orleans $30
1977 Rose Bowl, Pasadena, Ca. $20
1976 Orange Bowl, Miami $20
1975 Tulane Stadium, New Orleans $20
1974 Rice Stadium, Houston $15
1973 Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles $15
1972 Tulane Stadium, New Orleans $15
1971 Orange Bowl, Miami $15
1970 Tulane Stadium, New Orleans $15
1969 Orange Bowl, Miami $12
1968 Orange Bowl, Miami $12
1967 Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles $12, $10, $6

Team leading after the third quarter has won 33 of 38 Super Bowls (86.8%)
Biggest Super Bowl comeback was from 10 points down by the Redskins in Super Bowl 22 (trailed Broncos 10-0 in 2nd quarter, won 42-10)
Turnovers

Team forcing the first turnover has won 25 of 36 Super Bowls (69.4%)
Team committing fewer turnovers in the game has won 28 of 30 Super Bowls (93.3%)
Teams committing 0 turnovers in the game are 14-2 (.875) all-time in Super Bowl play
Teams with 3 or more takeaways in the game are 28-3 (.903) all-time in Super Bowl play
Teams with a turnover differential of +1 or better in the game are 28-2 (.933) all-time in Super Bowl play
Rushing and passing

Team with more rushing yards in the game has won 31 of 38 Super Bowls (81.6%)
Team with more passing yards in the game has won 21 of 38 Super Bowls (55.3%)
Teams with a 100-yard rusher in the game are 15-2 (.882) all-time in Super Bowl play
Teams holding the opposition to less than 100 yards rushing in the game are 24-5 (.828) all-time in Super Bowl play
Teams with a 300-yard passer in the game are 9-5 (.643) all-time in Super Bowl play
Team with the higher passer rating in the game has won 36 of 38 Super Bowls (94.7%)
The defense with more sacks in the game has won 24 of 35 Super Bowls (68.6%)
Team with more big plays from scrimmage (20+ yards) in the game has won 22 of 31 Super Bowls (71.0%)
Time of possession, penalties, special teams, etc.

Team with more time of possession in the game has won 28 of 38 Super Bowls (73.7%)
Team with fewer yards penalized in the game has won 15 of 37 Super Bowls (40.5%)
Teams scoring a defensive touchdown in the game are 9-1 (.900) all-time in Super Bowl play
Teams scoring a special teams touchdown in the game are 3-8 (.273)all-time in Super Bowl play

TRD

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
$600 for a ticket, whoah thats a bit pricey...

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
$600 for a ticket, whoah thats a bit pricey...

That's actually QUITE cheap for a Super Bowl ticket.

cgi.ebay.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Well, TRD, Ming guesses that no one will be able to get back at Ming because, once again, Ming has been proven correct.

Gibbsy, where are you? What rock are you hiding under? Show yourself! Ming will be forgiving.

Hmmmm...What sport shall Ming focus on next in order to enlighten the SportzTawk masses? Ming shall retire to his chambers to determine if he should begin Lessons in Basketball or await Spring Training for his Baseball Seminar.

Please await Ming's decision quietly. You are all now just begining to learn the path of Enlightenment. The way of Ming!

Ben

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Well i think i was correct as well in saying that the Pats are going to win.

TRD

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MingMercil
Well, TRD, Ming guesses that no one will be able to get back at Ming because, once again, Ming has been proven correct.

Yep Ming you sure did. It was a good game and pretty close. But the Pats just had enough in the tank to see it through.

Baseball, hrmm will be interesting to see what you have to say about that. What team do you favour?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth

Originally posted by toejam
is this matchup really that bad?

I don't think so. I think it will be an enjoyable game. Remember that 3 of the 4 starting DB's for the Eagles are going to the Probowl. This is going to be a good defensive game. Still I don't see the Eagles winning this one, Pats 24-20.

Also TO will not make a difference. If Mcnabb has to throw the ball away and TO is open, I'd throw it to him. Otherwise I'd use him as a distraction. 7 weeks off? He'll be rusty as hell, drop balls on critical downs.

[Edited on 2/3/05 by truenorth]

Well I was wrong about TO but was anyone closer to the score.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join