It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Dougherty wins first title

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Nick Dougherty's maiden European Tour win was like something out of the movies for the Liverpudlian while for Colin Montgomerie, the man he beat, it was "unbelievable".

But the 22-year-old's victory in the 2005 Caltex Masters in Singapore is an undeniable fact, even if he was flattered by by the five-shot winning margin.

A final round 67 at the Laguna National Golf and Country club ensured a first win on the tour for Dougherty at 18 under par, with last year's winner Montgomerie settling for a share of second place with Holland's Maarten Lafeber.

Denmark's Thomas Bjorn, who completed the showpiece final three ball with Dougherty and Montgomerie, took fourth place on 11 under par after his closing 72.

Paul Lawrie and Lee Westwood were among the chasing pack at eight under but the attention centred on Dougherty who was staggered by his success.

"I am still a little shellshocked but it was picture perfect I suppose," said Dougherty who moves to second on the European Tour Order of Merit with 163,148 Euros (113,603).

"To beat Monty and Thomas on a tough course with a fantastic crowd there and to win by five shots, that is really something special.

"It is something I have worked hard for. We've talked before about things I've done wrong, well here's one I've done right. I feel like I've earned this and hopefully it is a sign of many great things to come."

Sportinglife

[Edited on 30/1/05 by TRD]

join