It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: FA Cup fourth round results 29/01/05

page: 1

log in


posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 01:38 PM
Derby got closest to causing an upset in the fourth round of the FA Cup as they earned a replay against Barclays Premiership side Fulham with a 1-1 draw.

The Coca-Cola Championship Rams might have done even better after Marcus Tudgay turned in Tommy Smith's cross to put them ahead in the 56th minute. However, Collins John ensured the two sides will meet again by netting a 71st-minute equaliser for the Londoners.

Wayne Rooney netted a sensational second-half double as holders Manchester United strolled into the FA Cup fifth round. The put on a good show as they defeated Middlesborough 3-0. United were deservedly in front through John O'Shea's first half effort when Rooney took centre stage against hapless Middlesbrough. First, the teenager latched onto Gary Neville's through ball and beat Mark Schwarzer with an amazing chip. Then, he walloped home a magnificent first-time volley after Louis Saha had flicked on Roy Carroll's long punt downfield.

Yeovil proved tenacious opponents at the Valley, making Charlton fight all the way for their 3-2 win. The Glovers' Paul Terry, brother of Chelsea captain John Terry, certainly gave the Barclays Premiership side food for thought at half-time by levelling the scores at 1-1 in the 44th minute. That cancelled out Bryan Hughes' penalty but Francis Jeffers restored the Addicks' lead six minutes into the second half and Shaun Bartlett made the score 3-1 five minutes later. And although Yeovil netted again, through substitute Arron Davies in the 66th minute, it is Charlton who advance to the fifth round.

A hotly-contested penalty settled the south coast derby between Southampton and Portsmouth with Saints' Peter Crouch emerging as the hero in stoppage time. Matt Oakley had put Southampton in front nine minutes into the second half of the early kick-off but Portsmouth were able to level with a penalty from Aiyegbeni Yakubu three minutes later. Danny Higginbotham then had a goal ruled out for offside and the match looked to be heading for a draw when Portsmouth retreated into defence following Diomansy Kamara's red card. However, Matthew Taylor conceded a penalty when his upper arm blocked a David Prutton's cross deep into stoppage time. All the pressure was on Crouch but the striker who once cost Pompey 1.5million kept his cool to stroke home the penalty to win the match 2-1.

Arsenal were 2-0 winners over Wolves with goals from Patrick Vieira and Fredrik Ljungberg. Vieira gave the Gunners the lead from the penalty spot in the 52nd minute after Michael Oakes had brought down Thierry Henry in the Wolves' box and Fredrik Ljungberg made sure of the win in the 82nd minute.

Everton enjoyed a comfortable 3-0 win over Sunderland in a fixture tipped as the scene of a possible upset. The Merseysiders took an early lead with Scotland international James McFadden, handed a rare start, netting in the ninth minute. James Beattie netted his first goal for the Merseysiders in the 27th minute to double Everton's advantage and Tim Cahill ensured victory 10 minutes from time.

West Brom and Tottenham will head to White Hart Lane for a replay after their all-Barclays Premiership tie ended 1-1 at the Hawthorns. Robert Earnshaw gave the Baggies the lead in the 17th minute but Spurs levelled from the penalty spot after 31 minutes through Jermain Defoe after the England striker had been brought down by Darren Purse.

Barry Ferguson was omitted from the Blackburn squad completely despite recovering from a groin injury following his transfer request but the Ewood Park side did not need him as they cruised to a 3-0 win over Colchester. Rovers were given a helping hand as an own goal from Kevin Watson put them ahead in the 21st minute with a miskicked backpass and Jemal Johnson doubled Rovers' lead six minutes later. A rare Dominic Matteo goal five minutes into the second half all but killed off the game.

Celestine Babayaro scored his first goal for Newcastle, who completed a comfortable 3-1 win over Coventry. The Magpies took a 2-0 lead 37th-minute goal from Alan Shearer and a strike from Shola Ameobi five minutes later but that was cut in half with a Dele Adebola header in first-half stoppage-time. However, Babayaro netted his first goal following his move from Chelsea seven minutes into the second half to guarantee the win.

Leicester came from behind to win 2-1 against 10-man Reading after Nicky Forster had put the Royals ahead in the 10th minute. Gareth Williams equalised for the Foxes to leave the scores tied at the break but, after Ricky Newman had been red-carded for Reading, Jamie Scowcroft netted the winner in stoppage time.

Burnley, Liverpool's third-round conquerors, were 2-0 winners over Bournemouth with two goals from Ian Moore, who scored in the 17th minute and in stoppage time.

Nottingham Forest beat Peterborough 1-0 thanks to Marlon King's 10th-minute opener.

West Ham and Sheffield United will go to a replay after a 1-1 draw with Marlon Harewood giving the Hammers the lead in the 39th minute but Phil Jagielka header levelling for the Blades after 57 minutes.

Brentford and Hartlepool must also try again as their match ended goalless.



log in