It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Thongchai Jaidee aims for Masters

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Former soldier Thongchai Jaidee is targeting a place at the Masters in April this year and hopes a good performance in the Caltex Masters in Singapore will further his cause.

The Thai, who was the Asian Tour's number one last year, leads the region's best golfers against some of Europe's top names at the Laguna National Golf and Country Club today. And although he has been incredibly successful on home territory, he wants to widen his exposure and is anxiously waiting to see if an invitation is forthcoming for the first major of the year.

"My manager is trying to obtain an invitation from Augusta National. Hopefully, there will be some good news. Maybe if I win this week, it will help my case," said the ex-Thai army paratrooper.

"I have finished once in the top 10 in this tournament here (in 2003) and I like this golf course. It is a good challenge and its condition is very good."

Jaidee is ranked 84th in the world but should he break into the top 50 he would win a place at the Masters. However, that is a target defending champion Colin Montgomerie has set himself and he is one of three Ryder Cup players in the field for the 536,000 event.

David Howell and Lee Westwood, who tees off with Jaidee and South Africa's Trevor Immelman, are the other two. Worksop's Westwood, the highest ranked player in the tournament, was full of praise for his Thai playing partner.

"He is a good player and he has proved that over the last couple of years. I think he has a pretty good game for anywhere in the world," said the former European number one.

Sportinglife

join