It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Women cash in - HSBC Women's World Match Play Championship

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The biggest cheque in the history of women's golf - 268,000 - will be on offer in the HSBC Women's World Match Play Championship in New Jersey this summer.

The event will be the first official match play tournament to be played in America in half a century. The 64-strong field will come from the top 60 money-winners on the LPGA money list, the US Women's Open Champion, Japanese LPGA money list leader (at June 13), plus two special sponsors invitations.

The five-year deal between HSBC, tournament organisers International Management Group and the LPGA includes a total annual prize fund of more than 1million. The same bank sponsors the World Match Play Championship at Wentworth in October, where the winner's cheque of 1million is the largest in the sport. Ernie Els is the holder of that. Stephen Green, Group Chief Executive of HSBC Holdings plc, said: "Golf among women is experiencing equally powerful growth, with nearly one and a half million new women players taking up the game in the US since the turn of the millennium. We are delighted to become part of this."

World number one Annika Sorenstam commented: "I've heard what a great event the men's HSBC World Match Play is in England, so I'm really looking forward to ours.

"I really love match play - it should be a lot of fun."

Britain's Laura Davies added: "I love the cut and thrust of match play and it really suits my game. I just hope I qualify!" The event, in which all games will be over 18 holes, will be at the Hamilton Farm Golf Club in Gladstone, New Jersey.

Sportinglife

new topics

join