It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Coca-Cola League Two results 22/01/05

page: 1

log in


posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 01:34 PM
Lowly Notts County claimed the scalp of high-flying S#horpe at Meadow Lane, allowing Yeovil to pull three points clear in Coca-Cola League Two.

Glynn Hurst and Gavin Gordon were the Magpies scorers in their home victory over second-placed S#horpe, whose previous away defeat had come a fortnight ago in the FA Cup at Chelsea. This time the opposition were not so distinguished, but they proved equally effective.

Yeovil thereby moved ahead of their title rivals by virtue of their hard-earned 2-1 victory over bottom side Cambridge. Paul Terry, brother of Chelsea skipper John, opened the scoring for the Glovers in the 46th minute, but Shane Tudor stunned Huish Park by firing Cambridge level after 77 minutes. With just five minutes left, Yeovil won a penalty when John Ruddy fouled Yemi Odubade, and the league's leading marksman Phil Jevons successfully converted.

Swansea remain in third place, and they are now level on points with S#horpe after Lee Trundle's last-minute penalty clinched a 3-2 win at Boston, for whom Andy Kirk scored early. Trundle levelled up after the interval and Andy Robinson put the Swans in front, before Simon Rusk hauled Boston back to 2-2, ensuring the dramatic finish which was capped by the decisive penalty.

Fourth-placed Southend had Mark Gower to thank after his goal earned a 1-1 draw at Mansfield, for whom Adam Murray netted.

Bristol Rovers looked set to be condemned to defeat by a Bristol City player when on-loan Steven Gillespie put Cheltenham in front at the Memorial Stadium, but Lee Thorpe took advantage of a goalkeeping gaffe from Shane Higgs to level before the break. Cheltenham's Grant McCann was later dismissed for headbutting Stuart Campbell.

Northampton slipped a place to sixth after losing 2-0 at Bury, whose goals came from Jon Newby and Andrew Keogh. Trevor Benjamin was sent off for Northampton.

Chester finished their goalless draw against Rochdale with nine men, after Paul Carden was red-carded for foul and abusive language and Cortez Belle ordered off after a professional foul on Gareth Griffiths.

Darlington took over in fifth, with Craig Hignett's double adding to Neil Wainwright's opener in the 3-0 romp against Shrewsbury.

And Simon Yeo grabbed a hat-trick for Lincoln in the 4-2 win at Grimsby, with Ciaran Toner also netting for the Imps, who climbed to seventh. Thomas Pinault and Stacy Coldicott replied for Grimsby.

Chris Hackett, Craig Davies and Steve Basham earned Oxford a 3-1 win at second-bottom Kidderminster, whose reply was a Jon Ashton own goal.

Rob Gier and David Bell made the decisive difference in the last five minutes as Rushden beat Leyton Orient 2-0, while Jon Parkin put Macclesfield ahead at Wycombe before Roger Johnson headed a second-half equaliser.



log in