It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: EXCLUSIVE: Online chat with Pro-Boxer 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Sportztawk is proud to provide an exclusive online chat with Pro-Boxer 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips. The online chat took place in the chatroom on www.sportztawk.com at 9pm GMT 18/01/05.

We would like to thank Dean for taking the time out from his training and busy schedule to participate. For those of you that are not familiar with Dean Phillips take the time to check his profile here... PROFILE

[Ben] Welcome Mr. Phillips to the first ever sportztawk live chat, on behalf of all the members and staff we would like to thank you for coming to this occasion. Now lets get the chats rolling and the questions answered.

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] Nice to be here

[Ben] For the ones who maybe haven't seen you fight, how would you explain your style, talents, and skill to them?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] Well, I am a pressure fighter by nature, but I can also box when I want to. I actually learned how to box in a gym where counterpunching was a speciality so you could say that boxing is my roots, but I am a fighter by heart and I have a wicked left hook!!! next question

[toejam] Are there any plans to appear in the us ? or on tv over here?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] I have been in talks throughout my career with various american promoters. I was close to doing a deal with America Presents some years ago, and more recently Kevin Dever, although no deal has actually been done as yet. I would truly love to come to the states to fight in the near future but at the moment, Matchroom Sports are promoting me here in Wales, and I have faith in them to steer me in the right direction,so its a case of conquering Britain first, before I venture across the pond, but I am always open to offers!! Next question

[TRD] I have a question from another member Speedfreak: Does your promotion team work hard at getting fights, sponsorship ect? Or do you do alot of self-promotion?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] At the moment, I do a lot of self promotion. For example, I set up my own website. However, there are various people and organisations that help with get much needed exposure. Britishboxing.net for example have been a great help, as have Boxrec, Uppercut mag and Doghouse boxing website along with my local paper, Llanelli Star. Next question.

[Austin] What boxer do you relate to most. (style , etc...)

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] Hmm...well, I don't model my style on any particular fighter. Rather try to put in practice different aspects of different fighters into play in my own style to what I have seen over the years. I dont know if my style is similar to any particular fighter, however if anyone thinks so, then please let me know!!! Next question

[britboxing] "What are your plans next?"

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] My immediate plans for the future is to get out there and prove to people that my loss for the Commonwealth title was a blip and I want to prove that in my next showing. I am gunning for major titles this year, what title it is I do not care, so long as I am getting the right fights and am kept busy. Next question!

[kursk] Being you are in the Boxing 'Circles' in your honest opinion do you think or know if boxing is sometimes fixed? Do fighters actually take a dive?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] lol...not that I know of to be honest. What you do see a lot of is top prospects being matched with journeymen that have no chance of winning. That happens a lot but as for fixing, its new to me!! next question (think i have i answered that properly. lol!)

[Ben] Every professional althete has a pump up song or movie what is yours?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] For music, i like listening to dancey, trancey music. They motivate me for training too. I cant think of any specific movie that inspires me though, although i must say the Rocky movies were a great inspiration in the old days. next question

[toejam] Do you ever lose your temper in the ring?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] I never lose my temper in the ring. However I have lost it on many occasions doing othere forms of training, for example on the pads or bags..lol in the ring though, you have got to keep your head. The moment you get angry you become very vulnerable. Next question

[TRD] Dean, how is training going for the upcoming fight?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] Training is going good. It is the 3rd week back after Christmas and the New Year, and already I am feeling great and looking forward to fighting. The only think I have to do now is to get sparring in to sharpen up, and that will be done in the period of a few weeks before the fight. My shoulder injury has healed now and I just want to get in there and show what I am capable of doing...Next question

[Gav] What does the future hold for you and how long do you envisage yourself staying in the game for?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] I aim to stay in the game for a few years yet. 2005 is a make or break year for me, and I think if nothing happens by the end of it i.e if I haven't won a major title, then I may start thinking about pursuing other routes. However its hard to tell, as I could very well be on the brink at the end of the year, in which case I will keep at it. Just have to grit my teeth, do my best and see what rewards it brings me. I wil be giving 100% this year that I can say..Next question

[Ben] What is your strategy going into your next fight?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] I haven't been told yet who I will be fighting. I have been told it is a 6 rounder in Wales. until I get a name, I cannot devise any kind of strategy. Next question!

[TRD] Dean, Any chance of a possible rematch between you and Kevin Phillips down the road?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] Kevin Bennett. Yes, I would love to fight Kevin again. Another fight with us would be totally different. I was messed about with the dates for that fight. I was told it would be in september and was training spot on for that date. Then I got told it was in November, so I overtrained. Next time will be a lot different, and I know I will come out on top in a rematch...Next question

[Britboxer] What do you think of the domestic Lightweight scene at the minute, best division in Britain by far, don't you think, around 13 who could all be British contenders ?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] The british lightweight scene is really hot at the moment, and it just seems to be getting more crowded. There are indeed about that many british title contenders. I think we are going to see a lot of box-offs and eliminators in the near future!! Next question.

[Ktprktpr] In your division, do you find that strength or speed are most important?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] I think that in the lightweight division, a combination of strength and speed are required to be competitive at a decent level. The higher weights, like middles and heavies require more strength and the lower weights, feathers and flys etc require more speed. But lightweight I think you should have a combination of both!! Next question.

[Austin] How does boxing rank among sports in Britain. ( popularity)

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] I think the most popular sport in britain is football, or soccer. Boxing is pretty popular but not on the scale of what football is. I keep thinking of the money I could be making if I were a premiership football player!!!lol Next question!

[toejam] Is it hard to train when you don't know who you will be fighting?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] When I dont know who I will be fighting, I train like I normally would. For example, when I fought Michael Muya, I didn't know until about a week before that I would be fighting him. Things like this always happen in boxing and you have just got to put it out of your head and get all your training sparring with different styles of fighters when that happens. Next question.

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] If i can expand on the last answer. its always good to spar with different styles of fighters anyway, as you dont know who you will be up against...

[rynaldo82] In terms of working out in the phyiscal side of training, what do you focus on most of all?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] I focus on getting my aerobic system and anaerobic system in tip top condition. i also do a lot of conditioning exercises using my own body weight (I dont lift weights). Next question.

[britboxing] Of the British Lightweights around now, who would you most like to fight?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] Domestically I want to fight Graham Earl this year, or Kevin Bennett again as they are the two top ranked domestically. Further afield I wouldnt turn down an offer from Corrales!!!lol Next question

[TRD] Dean, a topic that has been in the news for most of 2004 is the drugs scandal in all sports. And with all the controvasity in the sport world with the drugs scandals, what is you opinion on it and have you ever thought about taking performance enchancing substances to help with training and your fights?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] I have never thought about taking any substances. You can get the same highs from living the correct lifestyle, training hard and eating healthy. Next question.

[John Nada] Do you think Boxing is a dying sport? What I mean is, it seems the money men (e.g. Don King) have drained the sport of all it's spirit and of it's heroes...and all that seems to be left is boxers who are interested in the big money and little else...especially the love of the sport. Not that I'm saying you're like that of course!

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] Boxing is a tough business. to do it and not get paid is pure love for the sport i.e staying in the amateurs. However, the pro ranks are undeniably all about money. I agree, it is turning more and more into a business than a sport, but just as boxing needs fighters to keep it going, boxing also needs the money men like Don King to put the fights on. I dont think it is dying though. Boxing will always be there I believe. Next question

[toejam] Speedfreak asked how much does a fight take out of you, how long does it take to recover?

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] Training and fighting are totally different things. A fight can tak a lot out of you. It took my muscles 3 days to recover after my last fight. You can train all you want, but you dont know how hard it is until you are in the ring under the spotlight. right guys, I have to shoot now. Been a pleasure doing this chat, and hoping to do it again soon.

We would like to thank Dean again for his inciteful look into the world of boxing. It's been a pleasure! Stay tuned for more online chats, interviews with 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips. If you didn't catch the first interview you can find it here... Interview with 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

Copyright www.sportztawk.com 2005

[Edited on 18/1/05 by TRD]

Ben

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I hope that everybody had a blast during this, the turnout was impressive, and there was a lot of questions asked in the time that we had, i was very impressived with how everybody acted, and behavied in the chat room. Thanks sportztawkers!

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
great stuff, it was good to read and see and particapate in this and hear good answers from dean

[TRD] Dean, Any chance of a possible rematch between you and Kevin Phillips down the road?

haha TRD. since when did he take up boxing

lets hope sportz tawk keeps up its good run of form of recent and many more interviews happen with respected sports personel

TRD

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
He might aswell Rynaldo...

Hopefully next time we will have the live chat on a sunday so that alot more people can attend.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
that sounds like a good idea, the more the merrier hey

hey, talking about kevin philips should be doing boxing, is it true west ham have already bought a ring

Sir

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I just read it and it's a great read, sadly couldn't make it but it sounds like it was cool.

TRD

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'll ask Dean if he will be available to elaborate on the questions from the online chat if anyone wants to go into a bit more detail.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hey that would be cool, sounds like it went well!

TRD

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] I never lose my temper in the ring. However I have lost it on many occasions doing othere forms of training, for example on the pads or bags..lol in the ring though, you have got to keep your head. The moment you get angry you become very vulnerable. Next question

Dean it must be really hard to control your temper in the ring, i guess you try to channel that anger into the way you fight?

On a side note have you ever accidently ever hit the ref? I have seen it happen on the TV in them funniest sporting moment programs. Or do the refs usually stay well out of reach?

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

Dean it must be really hard to control your temper in the ring, i guess you try to channel that anger into the way you fight?

On a side note have you ever accidently ever hit the ref? I have seen it happen on the TV in them funniest sporting moment programs. Or do the refs usually stay well out of reach?

No, I never lose my temper or get angry in the ring. Frustrated sometimes, but never angry.

I have actually hit the ref before, but it wasn't accidental - I hit him on purpose!!

I was doing an exhibition with someone, and we agreed to perform a move in which we would maneouvre in front of the referee, my opponent would duck on my signal resulting in the unsuspecting referee getting tagged with my left hook. It brought a fair bit of embarrasment for the referee (obviously I held back with the punch), but it brought a roar or laughter from the also unsuspecting crowd.

TRD

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thats pretty cool, i wasn't expecting you to say that you had...

So did you have something against the referee or just did it for fun?

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Thats pretty cool, i wasn't expecting you to say that you had...

So did you have something against the referee or just did it for fun?

Just did it for entertainment....the crowd loved it, and you should have seen the ref's face after

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
LOL, am sure glad i didnt become a ref
wouldnt like to be on the reciveing end of one of your hooks.

with you saying this dean, do you think in other sports players/ people will do something to the ref and make it look accidental for entertainment purposes

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
LOL, am sure glad i didnt become a ref
wouldnt like to be on the reciveing end of one of your hooks.

with you saying this dean, do you think in other sports players/ people will do something to the ref and make it look accidental for entertainment purposes

Definitely, although most I have seen have not been for entertainment purposes. Often you see a player giving the ref the odd barge in a soccer match, "accidentally" bumping into him for example. It wouldn't be in their best interests to do so though because it could cause the referee to side with the other participant/team.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Any progress on a date or an opponent Dean?

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Any progress on a date or an opponent Dean?

Not yet, but getting there.

Ben

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
how does the setting up a fight process work?

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] Training and fighting are totally different things. A fight can tak a lot out of you. It took my muscles 3 days to recover after my last fight. You can train all you want, but you dont know how hard it is until you are in the ring under the spotlight.

I guess a fight takes alot of you mentally as well as physically. Win or lose, what are you thinking when the fight ends? Also what goes through your head during the fight? Do you get straight back in the gym after a fight and work on your skills or do you leave it a few days?

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Speedfreak

[DynamiteDeanPhillips] Training and fighting are totally different things. A fight can tak a lot out of you. It took my muscles 3 days to recover after my last fight. You can train all you want, but you dont know how hard it is until you are in the ring under the spotlight.

I guess a fight takes alot of you mentally as well as physically. Win or lose, what are you thinking when the fight ends? Also what goes through your head during the fight? Do you get straight back in the gym after a fight and work on your skills or do you leave it a few days?

Very good questions!! During the fight, your mind is so focused on the fight. You don't even realise how hard you are focusing until its all over. You can't hear the crowd half the time; you get a sort of tunnel vision. Also, a lot of the time, you aren't even aware that there is a referee in the ring with you (apart from if he has to pull you up on something).

After the bell goes to end the fight, it is huge relief because, if all has gone to plan, all the training that you have done leading up to the fight has paid off. If the referee lifts your hand or you have stopped your opponent, it is immediate euphoria - a great feeling of accomplishment. If you have not won, then it is plain disappointment, a gutted feeling. If you are on the end of a bad decision, which I have been for a lot of my points losses, then it is a feeling of great frustration.

After a fight, I take one whole week off from the gym to let your body recover and then it's straight back to it.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
how does the setting up a fight process work?

The promoters ultimately set the fights up. They contact the fighters, often through the fighter's manager and arrange fight details. Sometimes it is the other way around though, and the fighter (through his management) contacts the promoter and pushes to fight on a certain show. Then if the promoter agrees they usually find a suitable opponent or approach a viable opponent through their management.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join