It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Jagr lifts Russian team to European Cup title

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia -- Jaromir Jagr scored an overtime winner and Russia's Avangard Omsk came from behind to beat Finnish champion Karpat Oulu 2-1 in the inaugural European Champions Cup final on Sunday.

Jagr, the only NHL player on Avangard, scored the winner off a pass from Maxim Sushinsky at 14:38 in overtime. He had assisted Alexei Kalyuzhny on the team's first goal.

"It was our most difficult match in two years," Avangard captain Oleg Tverdovsky said.

Avangard opened strongly and former NHL player Alexei Kovalenko came close to scoring, but the puck glided across the goal mouth inches from the line. Dmitry Zatonsky squandered another chance, failing to connect with Jagr's pass on a power play.

Defenseman Iikka Mikkola gave Karpat the lead on a slap shot from the blue line. After the goal, Karpat changed its tactics and hung back in defense to preserve its lead.

source

ESPN

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It's so hard to believe what hockey has come to. I have no hockey to watch and I'm reading how the former NHL'ers are doing in Europe. It's good that they are back playing and all, just too bad it's not over here.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I miss hockey too man. The junior tournament was sweet, but it's not enough.

new topics

join