It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Coca-Cola Championship results 15/01/05

page: 1

log in


posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:59 PM
Ipswich remained top of the Coca-Cola Championship after a thrilling 3-2 win against Coventry at Portman Road.

The visitors took an early lead through Stern John, but Darren Bent scored either side of half-time to give Ipswich the advantage. Gary McSheffrey equalised from the spot only for Shefki Kuqi to hold off a challenge and finish past Luke Steele for the winner.

Wigan kept the pressure on Ipswich by beating bottom club Rotherham 2-0 at Millmoor. Substitute Gary Teale came off the bench after 63 minutes and scored his first goal of the season just six minutes later with a clinical finish from 10 yards. Striker Jason Roberts then converted John Filan's huge clearance in injury time to ensure Ipswich's lead would remain at just two points.

Reading missed the chance to go third in the table as Burnley held them to a goalless draw. Opportunities were difficult to come by at Turf Moor, and home goalkeeper Brian Jensen was in good form to keep the visitors out. Clarets defender Gary Cahill, on loan from Aston Villa, was impressive for Steve Cotterill's side who have now kept three consecutive clean sheets.

Glenn Hoddle recorded his first league win as Wolves boss, his side prevailing in a thrilling clash with West Ham at Molineux. Kenny Miller opened the scoring for the hosts just before the half-hour mark, but the Hammers hit back through Bobby Zamora. The same pair scored again to make the score 2-2 - before Wolves raced away. Paul Ince scored after 72 minutes, and Carl Cort tapped in three minutes later to make it 4-2.

Gillingham's survival hopes were boosted by a 1-0 win against Plymouth at Priestfield. Andrew Crofts scored the winner on 61 minutes with a diving header from Nicky Southall's cross from the right flank. The visitors had Paul Connolly sent off late in the game for a crude challenge on Darren Byfield.

The spoils were shared at Elland Road in Leeds' clash with Cardiff. Kevin Blackwell's side took the lead in the 14th minute, Simon Walton exchanging passes with Aaron Lennon and David Healy before finishing off the impressive move. Peter Thorne levelled from the penalty spot just after the break when Neil Sullivan brought down Richard Langley in the area.

Gary Megson's first game as Nottingham Forest manager ended in disappointment as his side lost 2-1 at home to Millwall. In-form striker Barry Hayles opened the scoring on 11 minutes, and Alan Dunne added a second eight minutes before half-time. Kris Commons scored late on for Forest - but they could not grab a leveller.

A brilliant free-kick from Paul McKenna rescued a point for Preston against Leicester. David Connolly had given the visitors a first-half lead at Deepdale before McKenna's set-piece on 64 minutes.

A last-gasp Leon Knight goal saw Brighton claim all three points against a disappointing Sheffield United at Bramall Lane. Richard Carpenter had put Mark McGhee's side into the lead on the stroke of half-time, providing a classy finish to a superb break from a United corner. Kerry Mayo's unfortunate own goal just before the hour levelled matters, before Knight struck decisively with seconds remaining.

Heidar Helguson scored twice as Watford beat Crewe 3-1 at Vicarage Road. The Iceland international turned and finished superbly from Gavin Mahon's long pass for the opener - and he added the second from James Chambers' cross. Jay Demerit scored his first goal for the club to add the third, before Luke Varney pulled one back for Dario Gradi's side.


new topics

log in