It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Carlos Beltran refuses Houston offer

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Free agent Carlos Beltran turned down the biggest contract in Houston Astros history to sign with the New York Mets.

The 27-year-old center fielder made his decision just a few minutes before an 11 p.m. Saturday deadline, the Houston Chronicle reports.

"It slipped through our fingers in the last, last few minutes," said Astros owner Drayton McLane. "It was just some sticking points. It should never, never have gotten to this."

The Astros' offer was believed to be for seven years and worth more than $105 million.

Beltran helped the Astros to their first playoff series win and was a favorite of the city's baseball fans.

"I think we were very, very competitive with our offer," said McLane. "I have no idea what the (Mets') final offer is, but (Beltran's agent) said ours was very, very competitive."

United Press International

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
i remember the last time i turned down 105 million dollars....but then again i love my meaningless, menial, underpaid job

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
i remember the last time i turned down 105 million dollars....but then again i love my meaningless, menial, underpaid job

No tj, that was a $1.05 an hour raise you were offered at McDonald's...

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
oh oh...did i lose the decimal point again??????

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
yeah man, sorry to remind you...

new topics

top topics

join