It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: AUTO: Daytona - Paul Newman escapes burning car

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Oscar-winning actor Paul Newman, 79, escaped from his burning racing car after it span on the track at the Daytona Beach circuit in Florida, organisers said overnight.

Newman was unhurt in the scare, but was taken to the track's medical centre for precautionary checks, the Grand American Racing Association said. Newman, an accomplished driver, was testing his Newman Racing Ford Crawford when it span on the track's second bend.

"The car did not make contact with any barriers, but as Newman attempted to restart the engine, flames appeared from the engine compartment at the rear of the car," said the association's website.

The fire did not spread from the engine compartment and Newman jumped out of the car.

"I don't know what happened," Newman was quoted as saying after the medical check. "I'm fine. It just caught on fire somehow."

The racing association said a mechanical failure was the probable cause of the fire. Newman became interested in racing while filming the movie Winning in 1968. He won the GTS class in the 1995 24-hour race at Daytona and has won four Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) championships.

Associated Press

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I hadn't realized that he was 79 years old...

join