It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: FA Cup third round results 08/01/05

page: 1

log in


posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:39 PM
Non-League Exeter recorded the greatest result in their history as they held Manchester United to a 0-0 draw in the FA Cup third round at Old Trafford on Saturday.

Sir Alex Ferguson chose to rest a number of his Premiership stars for the third-round tie and paid the price as the Nationwide Conference side claimed a replay. United will now have to travel to Exeter for a replay but are at least still in the competition, unlike Premiership rivals Aston Villa and Manchester City. Villa and City were the highest-profile Premiership casualties of the third round as both lost to lower division opposition.

Andy Liddell struck twice late on as Sheffield United came from behind to beat Villa 3-1 at Bramall Lane and City were shocked 1-0 by League One neighbours Oldham at Boundary Park. Villa had looked on course for the fourth round after opening the scoring against the League One Blades through Gareth Barry early in the second half. But Danny Cullip levelled the scores before Liddell, despite Villa appeals for offside, put the Blades ahead in the 82nd minute and then added another a minute later. Scott Vernon claimed Oldham's crucial goal against City when he turned in a David Eyres nod-down after 14 minutes.

Championship high-flyers Sunderland also disposed of Premiership opposition as they overcame Crystal Palace 2-1. Palace had led after another goal from prolific striker Andrew Johnson but Sunderland levelled through Andrew Welsh. Marcus Stewart claimed the Black Cats' winner with a penalty on the hour.

Norwich also lost to Championship opposition as West Ham beat them 1-0 at Upton Park with an 81st-minute Marlon Harewood goal.

League Two side S#horpe produced a magnificent performance as they went down to an honourable 3-1 defeat against Premiership leaders Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. The Iron may have even entertained thoughts of pulling off a stunning win after taking a remarkable eighth-minute through Paul Hayes. But Chelsea got back level with a Mateja Kezman volley before an unfortunate Andy Crosby own goal and an Eidur Gudjohnsen effort put them into the fourth round.

Everton came through a tricky trip to Plymouth to take their place in round four. The Toffees, fielding £6million new boy James Beattie for the first time, took charge at Home Park with two early goals. Leon Osman broke the deadlock on 16 minutes and James McFadden doubled the advantage two minutes later. Bjarni Gudjonsson gave the home side hope by pulling a goal back on 34 minutes, but Nick Chadwick wrapped up a 3-1 success for the visitors with a goal six minutes from the end.

Middlesbrough managed to avert a shock as they came from behind to beat League Two strugglers Notts County 2-1 at Meadow Lane. Tony Scully stunned Steve McClaren's side when his shot deflected into the net off Ugo Ehiogu after just 80 seconds. But Boro eventually got back on level terms with fierce strike from Doriva after 54 minutes, and Joseph-Desire Job grabbed the winner 14 minutes from time.

Championship Cardiff hit back against Blackburn to claim a 1-1 draw at Ninian Park. Morten Gamst Pedersen had given Rovers the lead after five minutes, but Alan Lee secured a replay with a header on 35 minutes.

Carling Cup semi-finalists Watford will also get another crack at Fulham, after holding Chris Coleman's side 1-1 at Vicarage Road. Zat Knight put Fulham in front, but Heidar Helguson levelled from the penalty spot.

Southampton boss Harry Redknapp and his West Brom counterpart Bryan Robson both enjoyed their first victories since taking over their respective clubs. Saints ran out 3-1 winners over Northampton at Sixfields with goals from Kevin Phillips, Peter Crouch and Jamie Redknapp. Lee Williamson was on target for the Cobblers. West Brom left it late against Preston at Deepdale but eventually came through with goals from Rob Earnshaw in the 76th and 83rd minutes.

Birmingham eased through with a 3-0 win over Leeds at St Andrews. Steve Bruce's side raced ahead with goals from Emile Heskey and Darren Carter in the first half. Leeds rallied after the break, but Carter settled the game with his second goal on 64 minutes.

Charlton powered past Rochdale 4-1 at The Valley thanks to a Bryan Hughes double. Jonathan Fortune and Danny Murphy also struck for the Addicks, with Grant Holt getting one for the League Two side.

Bolton upped the tempo in the second half to overcome Ipswich 3-1. The deadlock was not broken until Stelios Giannakopoulos' 60th-minute opener at Portman Road, but Henrik Pedersen followed up with a quickfire double. Ipswich's consolation came from Tommy Miller.

Robbie Keane claimed the winner seven minutes from time as Tottenham overcame a hard-working Brighton side 2-1 at White Hart Lane. Ledley King had given Spurs the lead, but Richard Carpenter levelled from a free-kick three minutes into the second half.

Aiyegbeni Yakubu scored Portsmouth's winner as they beat Gillingham 1-0 at Fratton Park.

Championship strugglers Rotherham proved no match for Yeovil as the League Two leaders ran out 3-0 winners at Millmoor. Phil Jevons put the Glovers on the way with a penalty on 61 minutes, and Darren Way and Andrejs Stolcers put the result beyond doubt late on.

Derby came from behind to surprise Championship high-fliers Wigan 2-1. Alan Mahon had given the Latics a first-half lead, but Inigo Idiakez and Junior replied for the Rams after the break.

Wolves booked their place in the next round with a 2-0 win over Millwall at Molineux. Both goals came in the first 11 minutes, with Ki-Hyeon Seol and Carl Cort on target for Glenn Hoddle's side.

Gary McSheffrey struck twice as Coventry beat Crewe 3-0 in their first match since the departure of manager Peter Reid. McSheffrey's goals sandwiched one by Stern John.

Leicester needed an 82nd-minute equaliser from Gareth Williams to claim a 2-2 draw with Blackpool at the Walkers Stadium. Peter Clarke and Keith Southern had found the net for the visitors, after a Robert Edwards own goal gave Leicester the lead.

Nottingham Forest claimed a morale-boosting 3-0 win over Queen's Park Rangers with goals from Andy Reid, Kris Commons and Yoann Folly - while Reading needed an 88th-minute leveller to draw 1-1 with Swansea.

Gareth Williams and Craig Fagan struck as League One leaders Hull went down 2-0 at home to Colchester, and Luton lost 2-0 to Brentford.

Bournemouth overcame Chester 2-1; Peterborough won 2-0 at Milton Keynes Dons, and Hartlepool were held 0-0 by Boston - star striker Adam Boyd missing an injury-time penalty for the Victoria Park outfit.



log in