It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Scottish Cup 3rd round results 08/01/05

page: 1

log in


posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:30 PM
A heroic second-half save from Derek Stillie saved Dunfermline from a humiliating Tennent's Scottish Cup third-round exit at the hands of East Fife on Saturday.

The Bank of Scotland Premier League outfit failed to capitalise on a host of chances to kill the tie off early and Scott Thomson and Barry Nicholson both hit the crossbar. But with East Fife sensing a famous giantkilling, Stillie made a brilliant save to deny Stephen Nicholas to set up a replay at East End Park after a 0-0 draw.

New Partick Thistle manager Dick Campbell kicked off his reign with a creditable goalless draw against Hearts. The Bell's First Division outfit weathered a second-half storm to give themselves another chance of progressing to the fourth round when the two sides meet again a week on Wednesday at Tynecastle.

Goals from Markus Heikkinen and Darren Mackie gave Aberdeen a 2-0 victory over plucky Arbroath at Gayfield Park. The Bell's Second Division side had hoped to use the swirling wind to their advantage in the first period but their plans were in disarray in the 12th minute when Heikkinen opened the scoring. The Red Lichties fought back from the early disappointment but Mackie sealed the Dons' safe passage into the last 16 halfway through the second period.

Late goals by Steven Whittaker and substitute Sam Morrow eventually sent wasteful Hibernian through to the fourth round after a 2-0 defeat of Dundee at Easter Road. Hibs striker Garry O'Connor missed three clear-cut chances to put the home side ahead before defender Whittaker showed the way to goal in the 76th minute with a drive from just inside the box. Then, with three minutes to go, Morrow, on earlier for Alen Orman, eased the nerves of the home fans with an angled drive to seal a well-deserved victory.

Two goals in four minutes at the end of the first half secured a 2-0 victory for Kilmarnock in a cracking tie against Motherwell at Rugby Park. Gary McDonald tucked the ball home four minutes before the break following a goalmouth scramble and Kris Boyd added a second with a header in added on time which referee Craig Thomson adjudged to have crossed the line.

Stranraer came from behind three times to force a replay in a thrilling 3-3 draw with Ayr United at Somerset Park. The home side struck first after half-an-hour when Craig Conway scored straight from a corner with the aid of a swirling wind in the south-west derby. Gary McCutcheon slotted home to level for the visitors two minutes before the break, but the Honest Men edged in front again during stoppage time through Andrew Ferguson's low shot. However, the Stair Park equalised seconds later through Kevin Gaughan. Darren Henderson gave United the lead for a third time within 60 seconds of the re-start as he bundled home a Conway cross. But Stranraer took the tie to a replay a week on Tuesday with a Derek Wingate header from a corner on 71 minutes.

Clyde eased past runaway First Division leaders Falkirk by three goals to book their place in the last 16. Ian Harty cracked in the opener at Broadwood - with the aid of a slight deflection off Bairns' defender Kevin James - after 35 minutes. A thunderous 68th-minute free-kick from Gary Bollan from fully 40 yards out put the Bully Wee two up. Harty set the seal on the victory with his second for the home side 12 minutes from time.

Third Division Montrose saw their cup run ended at the hands of Queen of the South. The First Division visitors went ahead on 42 minutes through Derek Lyle, who netted after a through ball from Brian Colligan. But the home side were fortunate to equalise on the stroke of half-time after Paul Burns was adjudged to have handled in the area. Craig Smart saw his subsequent spot-kick saved by Queen of the South goalkeeper Colin Scott, but he followed up to score from the rebound. The First Division side then regained the advantage five minutes after the re-start with a spectacular 25-yard strike from Willy Gibson, which proved to be decisive.

Alloa overcame their hosts Raith Rovers 2-0 to take their place in the fourth-round draw. The Second Division side signalled the end of the Kirkcaldy team's involvement with a John Ovenstone header from a corner on the cusp of half-time. The Wasps then made sure of progression to the last 16 in the final minute when Brown Ferguson netted the second from the penalty spot after he had been fouled in the box.

St Mirren brushed off the challenge of Hamilton Academical with a 3-0 win at Love Street. Buddies' recent signing Stuart Kean opened the scoring on 24 minutes. Alan Russell doubled the advantage in the 77th minute when he converted a Simon Lappin cross. Kean then snapped up his second from a loose ball two minutes later to round off the scoring.

A Steven Hampshire double helped Brechin knock out Berwick Rangers with a comfortable 3-0 win at Shielfield Park. The former Dunfermline forward opened the scoring one minute after the break before Craig Winter doubled the advantage 10 minutes later when he crashed a drive into the top corner. Hampshire, who struck twice against Berwick in the sides' previous encounter, then struck again with a fierce shot on 76 minutes to send Brechin into round four.

Ross County versus Airdrie United was postponed due to adverse weather conditions.


new topics

log in