It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Patriots' Law to miss postseason

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The New England Patriots placed Ty Law on injured reserve Friday and said the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback will miss the entire postseason.

The 10-year veteran missed the last nine games of the regular season after breaking his foot in an Oct. 31 game at Pittsburgh, but there was talk he could be available for the playoffs.

"We are disappointed for Ty," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "He has worked extremely hard to return this season and we all hoped it would happen."

Law, 30, initially was expected to be sidelined four to six weeks from the broken bone across the top of his foot. Law had a cast removed from his foot in late November, and he later wore a removable boot to take pressure off it. The Patriots have this weekend off. The defending Super Bowl champions will play Indianapolis in the second round of the playoffs if the Colts beat Denver on Sunday. Otherwise, the winner of Saturday's game between the New York Jets and San Diego will visit Foxboro on Jan. 16.

Law's absence could be especially troubling if Pro Bowl defensive end Richard Seymour is also unable to play. Seymour says his injured knee is improving but he's still not sure if he'll be able to play in the Patriots' first playoff game. Seymour sat out last Sunday's win over San Francisco after getting hurt in the previous Sunday against the New York Jets.

Asked if he could play this Sunday if the Patriots had a game, Seymour said he didn't want to discuss situations that won't happen.

And as if the Patriots' defense didn't have enough issues, defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel will spend the next few days interviewing for other jobs. Crennel is one of the most sought-after candidates for head-coaching vacancies these days and is expected to meet with both the Niners and Browns about their openings.

Associated Press

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Shouldn't matter, I still don't see them winning a game this post season.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
You would think playing without your top two corner's would be a huge blow to your defense. Tyrone Poole missed 10 games and Ty Law the last 9 and they still managed an impressive 14-2 so maybe they wont be quite as missed as one might think. That is a big credit to Belichek who has found ways to deal with these types of situations, for instance having Troy Brown play defensive back. I'm sure Peyton was pretty happy to hear this news though. :smug:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Lilke I was saying, either way, I don't see them winning a playoff game.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Which is great, GB. Ming hopes everyone is thinking your way.

The Pats love (might Ming say, thrive on) the role of the underdog, underappreciated underrated team.

Ming is hoping the Steelers & Colts already have their bags packed and are ready to head off to the SuperBowl, since the Pats are hurting and don't have a chance and will serve as a minor annoyance, if that. Yeah, right. Get out your history books boys.

[Edited on 1/9/05 by MingMercil]

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MingMercil
Which is great, GB. Ming hopes everyone is thinking your way.

The Pats love (might Ming say, thrive on) the role of the underdog, underappreciated underrated team.

Ming is hoping the Steelers & Colts already have their bags packed and are ready to head off to the SuperBowl, since the Pats are hurting and don't have a chance and will serve as a minor annoyance, if that. Yeah, right. Get out your history books boys.

[Edited on 1/9/05 by MingMercil]

Underdog? Defending Superbowl champs are underdogs? With home field advantage? Tell me where in the history books that is, please?

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Let's rewind to the Pats-Steelers a few years ago; OK, forget that, how about the Pats-Rams? How about the Pats-Indy? In every case the Pats were considered a lost cause. And you know what, that is a part of what spurred them on to wins.

Hey Gibbsy, you're the one whose giving them no respect! Defending SuperBowl champs or not.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
That's my point, most everyone else considers them among the favorites. I'm saying they have a target squarely on the middle of thier back. That's respect, gunning fo rthe team that's sittign on top of the world...

Of course, I was wrong with my prediction of San Diego winning, so who the heck knows? I expect the colts will be playing in New England next weekend, and, if the weather holds, Indy should outscore them. If the weather does turn to shyte, then the patsies in no contest.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Gibbiletta, are you losing it? On the one hand you say that the Pats are a favorite and on the other hand that they won't make it through one playoff game? Which is it? If that isn't disrepecting them, Ming does not know what is!

Like Ming says, the more they (the Pats) are dissed, the better they will be. Keep pilin' on, please! Manning will be buried in NE next weekend, you can bank on it.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Well, if you think that my little postings on this site are gonna make the difference in how the patsies play, then I guess I should stop "dissing" them, if I really want to see manning get that elusive super bowl...

Dude, what I'm saying is, how can they not be considered a favorite? they are the defending champs. But, I beleive that if the weather cooperates, the colts are gonna be walking out of Foxboro next week, on the way to Pittsburgh. IMHO.

top topics

join