It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Howell rewarded for Ryder Cup heroics

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
David Howell has won the Royal Bank of Scotland shot of the year award for his superb tee shot during Europe's record Ryder Cup victory.

Howell and fellow Englishman Paul Casey were one down with two holes to play against Chad Campbell and Jim Furyk after 16 holes of the Saturday morning fourball match.

The 29-year-old from Swindon then proceeded to strike a magnificent six iron from 203 yards to within five feet of the pin at the 17th and rolled in the putt for a birdie to square the match.

Casey's par on the 18th then secured a victory which proved pivotal in the final outcome.

At one stage Bernhard Langer's side were in danger of losing the session 4-0, but the English pair's unlikely victory saw the visitors claim one and a half points.

Howell said: "I knew my tee shot at the 17th needed to be a good one and in all honesty it wasn't the purest strike of my life.

"However it went dead straight and released nicely to within five feet. It was a great feeling to see the ball so close to the hole and even better to make the putt to square the match."

Sportinglife

join