It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Coke's deal with NBA collides with Denver arena

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
DENVER -- You won't have to look far to find Coke in the Pepsi Center during next month's NBA All-Star Game in Denver.

Pepsi reportedly paid $68 million for naming rights to the downtown venue that is home to the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche. But Coca-Cola is an official sponsor of the NBA, which allows it to be included in the league's advertising at the All-Star Game and surrounding events Feb. 18-20 in the Pepsi Center.

"They'll certainly have a noticeable presence in the arena,'' said Matt Bourne, an NBA spokesman. "In their deal with us, they really focus on (Coke's) Sprite brand, so you'll see that a lot.''

In fact, one of the week's big events is titled the Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk Contest.

Officials at Pepsi said the company will still have a major presence in certain areas of the Pepsi Center next month. Coke can't actually pour its products at the arena and company's advertisements will be limited to the lower tiers.

The Pepsi Center has been down this road before: In 2001, the National Hockey League All-Star game was in Denver, again with Coca-Cola a main sponsor. Not only was Coke allowed to advertise in the Pepsi Center, but the NHL barred the use of the arena's name on tickets and TV broadcasts.

source

ESPN

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This is kind of funny, all this meaningless advertising. Do you know anyone who hasn't had a Pepsi or a Coke? We all have and we buy our cola based on what we like regardless of who is winning the ad wars. I just think it's silly.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
This is kind of funny, all this meaningless advertising. Do you know anyone who hasn't had a Pepsi or a Coke? We all have and we buy our cola based on what we like regardless of who is winning the ad wars. I just think it's silly.

Yes, but they provide us wiht fun commercials...just like the beer ad wars. That should be a thread, what have been the best beer ads of all time?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
That should be a thread, what have been the best beer ads of all time?

That would make a good thread, there have been many classic beer commercials!

It's still silly to me, that Coke and Pepsi are butting heads here. This reminds me of when I'm sitting home watching TV with my Comcast cable and they run Comcast cable commercials. Who are they trying to reach? If you're watching that commercial, chances are you already subscribe.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
yeah, i get the Time Warner commercials.

Talk about wasted airtime! It's not like we even have a choice!

new topics

top topics

join