It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Mahorn will be Laimbeer's top assistant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. -- The "Bad Boys'' are back together.

Rick Mahorn will join Bill Laimbeer on the Detroit Shock bench, serving as Laimbeer's top assistant for the 2005 season.

"I've been trying to convince Rick to do this for two years now,'' Laimbeer said Thursday. "This is a great hire for the franchise, because I believe that professional basketball players should be coached by people with professional basketball experience. Rick has that, he lives in the area and he already has a great rapport with our players.''

Mahorn and Laimbeer were part of Detroit's "Bad Boys'' championship team in 1989.

"Everyone remembers them, and how tough they were,'' Shock All-Star Swin Cash said. "That's the attitude that they are going to bring to our team, and it's going to scare people around the league.''

After his 18-year playing career, which included two stints with the Pistons, Mahorn worked as a head coach in the CBA and spent two years as an assistant with the Atlanta Hawks. He expects that his experience working for Laimbeer will be more fruitful than his time in Atlanta.

"When I was with the Hawks, I never even knew what my responsibilities were,'' he said. "That's not going to be the case here. I learned more in my first 15 minutes with Bill than I did in two years in Atlanta.''

Laimbeer and Mahorn also work as announcers for the Detroit Pistons.

source

ESPN

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Nobody will mess with those girls!!

I remember watching Laimbeer and Mahorn and the rest of the good Pistons teams of the 80's, they were tough. I used to HATE Bill Laimbeer, now looking back he was just an intense and aggressive player. They had some good rivalries against my 76ers and Mahorn actually ended up in Philly for awhile. He played next to Barkley, they used to stir it up alot.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
They're the bookends in the first row.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
yeah, i always had respect for Lambeer, he played tough, man! And Mahorn fit in with the sixers at that time.

new topics

top topics

join