It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Coca-Cola League One results 03/01/05

page: 1

log in


posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:20 PM
Hull toppled Luton from the summit of Coca-Cola League One with a 3-1 win at bottom side Stockport while their rivals were drawing 2-2 at Peterborough.

Hull moved two points clear at the top but needed two second half goals to secure the win after Danny Adams had equalised Aaron Wilbraham's 10th minute opener for the visitors. Jason Price restored the visitors' advantage after 61 minutes while Danny Allsopp secured victory with a goal four minutes later. Luton could only draw at Peterborough but they might be grateful for the point as they were losing 2-1 until Steve Howard found an equaliser in the 85th minute. Kevin Nicholls had given the Hatters the lead in the 54th minute only for the home side to level the scores with a 73rd-minute goal from Calum Willock. Willock scored a second with his head to give Peterborough the lead in the 82nd minute before Howard earned a share of the points.

Tranmere's promotion hopes look brighter after three second half goals gave them a 4-1 win over Torquay at Prenton Park. The home side took an early lead through a goal from former Aberdeen striker Eugene Dadi, but that was cancelled out when Adebayo Akinfenwa scored in the 21st minute. However, Tranmere retook the lead through Jason McAteer after 66 minutes while Gary Jones all but killed the game 11 minutes later and Paul Hall scored his side's fourth in stoppage time.

Sheffield Wednesday moved into fourth place with a 4-0 drubbing of struggling Wrexham with Kenwyne Jones scoring two at Hillsborough. The game turned on Stephen Roberts' foul on Joey O'Brien which earned the Wrexham defender a red card and gave away a penalty. Former Rangers striker Steven MacLean converted the spot-kick in the 49th minute and Wednesday made their extra man count by adding two more goals through Jones in the next 10 minutes. Paul Heckingbottom scored their fourth eight minutes from time.

Swindon midfielder Grant Smith scored twice inside the first two minutes of the second half at Bradford to earn his side a 2-1 win. Dean Windass replied for the Bantams in the 56th minute and Swindon ended the game with 10 men following Jerel Ifil's 76th-minute dismissal.

Bournemouth earned a 1-1 draw at Doncaster despite also finishing the game with 10 men after Brian Stock received a red card in the move leading to the home side's equaliser. The visitors took the lead when John Spicer scored after 44 minutes but Doncaster levelled through Paul Green with Stock's challenge on John Doolan in the build up enough for a dismissal.

Hartlepool's promotion challenge was lifted by a 5-0 drubbing of Milton Keynes Dons in which Adam Boyd scored twice (49, 57). Antony Sweeney (21), Joel Porter (80, pen) and Andrew Appleby (90) were also on the scoresheet.

An 89th minute own goal by Nathan Clarke gifted Bristol City a 2-2 draw at Huddersfield, who had led 2-0 thanks to an own goal by Bradley Orr (18) and Pawel Abbott's lob (58). Leroy Lita pulled a goal back for the visitors after 71 minutes and Clarke headed the equaliser into his own net.

Joe Broad's own goal was enough to give Brentford a 1-0 win at home to Walsall.

Michael Boulding scored two first half goals (38 & 45) for Barnsley but the Tykes had to settle for a 2-2 draw with Chesterfield, who replied through Caleb Folan (50) and Shane Nicholson (88).

Lee Matthews (72, 78) scored twice as Port Vale won 2-0 at Blackpool while Colchester drew 0-0 at home to Oldham.


new topics

log in