It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Award victory for Vijay Singh

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Vijay Singh has been named European Tour golfer of the year for the first time.

Singh did not win a tournament on European soil but topped the US money list with record earnings of more than US$10million and nine victories, including the USPGA Championship.

The Fijian also replaced Tiger Woods as world number one and finished the year with a stroke average of 68.84.

Singh said: "It is a wonderful honour. This accolade completes a very special double for me after winning the player of the year award in the United States only last week.

"I take great satisfaction from the 2004 season, having won nine times, including my second USPGA Championship and becoming the first player to reach US$10million in earnings on the USPGA tour.

"However, the pinnacle was unquestionably becoming world number one for the first time, the culmination of many years of hard work and dedication.

"Obviously it was disappointing not to win on European soil in 2004, but this award makes amends for that a little.

"As everyone knows I spent several happy seasons learning my trade on the European Tour in the late 80s and early 90s and to be recognised by this tour gives me immense personal satisfaction."

Sportinglife

new topics

join