It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Warner plans to leave the Giants

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner plans to leave the New York Giants after this season rather than remain a backup to Eli Manning.

"I am not going to be content being a backup, that's just the bottom line," Warner said Wednesday. "I loved my year here, but I am not content being a backup. I think I showed people and did things here and won games and that I have proven I can play and start in this league."
Warner, 33, said the Giants know how he feels.

"I think that everybody's thought process right now is I want to be somewhere starting next year, and they know it's not here with the New York Giants," said Warner, the one-time Arena League player who led the St. Louis Rams to two Super Bowl appearances, including a championship after the 1999 season.

While Warner signed a two-year contract with the team in June, he has met the criteria necessary to void the final year of the deal.

Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi refused to comment on Warner's contract status.

Warner, who beat out Manning for the starting job in training camp, led the Giants to a 5-2 start. He was replaced by the No. 1 pick overall in the NFL draft after losses to Chicago and Arizona and the team has failed to win a game with Manning at quarterback.

Warner came to New York as somewhat of a question mark. He suffered a concussion in a season-opening loss to the Giants in 2003 and lost his starting job to Marc Bulger.

The Rams gave Bulger a long-term contract and released Warner on June 1. The Giants signed him the following day to be a caretaker until Manning was ready.

Warner, who had been bothered by injuries in recent years, completed 174-of-277 passes for 2,054 yards, six touchdowns and four interceptions. He had a respectable 86.5 passer rating.

Associated Press

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Not at all surprising, we knew he'd want to start somewhere. The question is, where?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Ming is still surprised that Eli was thrown into the fire the way he was. It would seem to have been better to let Warner start & if it was a blowout (for or against the Giants) then let Manning come in and take some snaps.

Warner played fairly decently. Ming does not get this "Well, it's Eli's team". How many #1 drafted QBs have been total duds? Recent memory of Ryan Leaf is Exhibit A.

Manning appears to be made of better stuff than Leaf - but he still may never make it in the pros, notwithstanding his "pedigree".

Warner deserved a better fate. From where Ming sits, he has pretty much been a real pro on and off the field.

Ming wishes him well.

[Edited on 12/29/04 by MingMercil]

[Edited on 12/29/04 by MingMercil]

join