It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doggy blues during the holidays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   

DALLAS (Reuters) - The strain of the holidays can become too much for family dogs and when they get the Christmas blues, they may bite back.

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20031210/od_nm/dogs_dc

There are many things that can make a good dog go bad around the holidays. The article mentions poisonous plants such as Poinsettias and mistletoes. Another thing is chocolate.

It is not chocolate itself that is poisonous to dogs, it is the theobromine, a naturally occuring compound found in chocolate. Theobromine causes different reactions to different dogs: dogs with health problems, especially epilepsy, are more affected by theobromine than healthy dogs. Theobromine can trigger epileptic seizures in dogs prone to or at risk of epilepsy. The size of the dog will also be a major factor: the smaller the dog, the more affected it is by the same amount than a larger dog. Therefore, toxicity is described on a mg/Kg basis.

Theobromine can cause cardiac irregularity and irritate the GI tract causing internal bleeding. Hence, Rover is NOT going to be a happy camper with a gut ache.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 11:16 AM
link   
at Christmas my dogs like to eat human food only what should i do

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Guess I'd better keep my dogs happy then. Got 2, a labrador and a bull mastiff.
Total man biting weight of around 230lbs between them. I thought they'd been looking at me strangely the last few days. Where's that armour?

interesting post MountainStar, thanks.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 01:40 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join