It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Coca-Cola League One results 18/12/04

page: 1

log in


posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 12:04 PM
Enoch Showunmi's last-minute winner ensured Luton retained their four-point lead at the top of Coca-Cola League One thanks to a 2-1 away win over Bristol City.

Chris Coyne had put Mike Newell's side ahead in the first half but when Leroy Lita brought the Robins level after 66 minutes, the Hatters toiled to find another goal. But in the 90th minute Showunmi popped up to steal a dramatic victory for the visitors.

In the top-of-the-table clash of the day, second-placed Hull romped to a generous 6-1 win over third-placed Tranmere. However, the scoreline was deceptive as Tranmere were forced to use three different goalkeepers - the third of whom was defender Theo Whitmore. Tranmere first-choice stopper John Achterberg was forced off after 18 minutes due to injury, with substitute 'keeper Russell Howarth replacing him. Ian Ashbee found a way past Tranmere's defence to put the Tigers 1-0 up at the break, but matters worsened for the Merseysiders when substitute Howarth failed to come out for the second half after being injured himself. Jamaican outfield star Whitmore stepped into the breach and probably wished he had not volunteered. Stuart Elliott doubled Hull's lead and after Eugene Dadi pulled one back for Rovers, Elliott went on to complete his hat-trick. Goals by Nick Barmby and Danny Allsopp completed the rout.

Fourth-placed Bournemouth gained ground on Tranmere with a 2-1 home win against Swindon. Garreth O'Connor broke the deadlock six minutes into the second half and after Sean O'Hanlon's leveller on the hour, Shaun Maher grabbed the winner in the 77th minute.

Walsall and Blackpool played out a thriller at the Bescot Stadium, the home side eventually running out 3-2 winners. Scott Taylor put Blackpool in front after 32 minutes but Jorge Leitao brought matters level on the stroke of half-time. Marvin Robinson put Paul Merson's side ahead 10 minutes into the second half and after Keigan Parker equalised for the Seasiders, Robinson was on target again to wrap up the win with 20 minutes left to play.

At the foot of the table new Stockport manager Chris Turner got off to a great start as his new side beat 22nd-placed MK Dons 3-1. Jon Daly's brace before the break set the Hatters on their way and despite Alex Tapp's goal for the away side, it was not enough to rescue a draw because Ashley Williams made sure of the win three minutes from time.

Earlier Bradford enjoyed a narrow victory away to Huddersfield in the West Yorkshire derby, with Owen Morrison's effort from outside the box enough to hand the Bantams a massive boost.

Wayne Allison's second-half equaliser was enough to give Chesterfield a 1-1 draw at home to Torquay after Jamie Gosling's opener early in the second half.

Veteran John Solako produced the goods to give high-flying Brentford a 1-0 win at home to downtrodden Colchester, while Barnsley romped to a 4-0 win against hapless Peterborough. Michael Chopra banged in a hat-trick with Chris Shuker also getting his name on the scoresheet to ensure struggling Peterborough have a miserable Christmas.

Oldham took the lead but ended up 3-1 losers against Port Vale in the Potteries. Scott Vernon's 34th-minute goal had given the Latics reason for optimism but Billy Paynter equalised two minutes later. Chris Birchall put the Valiants ahead early in the second half before Lee Matthews' penalty wrapped it up for the home side.

Finally Hartlepool coasted to a 5-1 win away to struggling Wrexham. Ritchie Humphreys scored just eight minutes in and two goals by Antony Sweeney plus strikes by Joel Porter and Adam Boyd rendered Juan Ugarte's effort for the home side irrelevant.



log in