It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Vince Carter traded to Nets

page: 1

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 03:14 PM
The New Jersey Nets have acquired Vince Carter from the Toronto Raptors in a megadeal being reported by the New York Daily News and several web and broadcast outlets.

In exchange, the Nets would send Alonzo Mourning, Aaron Williams, Eric Williams and two first-round picks to the Raptors. The two first-round picks were acquired in the Kenyon Martin trade.

The deal is pending physicals for all players involved and NBA approval, the reports said. Carter is on the injured list with a strained Achilles' tendon, and Mourning has missed the past three games with injuries.

In Carter, the Nets would acquire a scorer and one of the league's most popular players, albeit an underachieving one in recent years.

The move might also help appease All-Star guard Jason Kidd, who had asked to be traded in the wake of Martin being dispatched to Denver among other moves.

The Raptors have been trying to trade Carter for some time now. The Knicks were also said to be involved in talks for him.

Sportsline Wire

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 04:14 PM
That's a big-time move, but is it enough to make the Nets contendors again?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 05:25 PM
i am not a basketball fan at all but it looks to me like the nets sold the farm to get carter, did they give up too much?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 05:47 PM
Carter has not been the player he was in the last 18 months so unless it was all about being in Toronto and not about his skills being disminished Good trade/Bad trade who knows?:angry-smiley-034:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:38 PM
Looks pretty lopsided to me, but what do I know?

They got Zo but he is way past his prime and is being carefully watched by doctors because of his kidney condition, they could shut him down at any time. The other guys are decent but I dont know if Toronto got enough for a player like Carter.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 11:38 PM
Alonzo Mourning won't be reporting to the Toronto Raptors next week - and may never play for them.

Mourning, acquired from New Jersey in a trade for Vince Carter on Friday, is in Miami undergoing medical tests and will be there through Christmas, Toronto general manager Rob Babcock said Saturday.

The 34-year-old center, who underwent a kidney transplant Dec. 19, 2003, does not have to report to the Raptors or pass a physical for the trade to go through.

Mourning stopped playing earlier this month because of what he said were hip, knee, hand and leg problems. He also was openly unhappy with the Nets' offseason moves, and had demanded a trade to a contender. The Nets and Mourning discussed buying out his contract, but the two sides were too far apart.

Nets president Rod Thorn said Friday there's a chance Mourning would not report to Toronto because he wants to play for a winner.

Babcock claimed Saturday he hasn't discussed a buyout with Mourning's agent, and won't until his medical situation becomes clearer.

If Toronto does buy Mourning out, there's been speculation he could sign with the Miami Heat, his old team, if a deal can be reached. The Raptors also could trade him to the Heat.

Babcock said Mourning was only included in the trade so that the salaries would match up. Toronto also acquired forwards Aaron Williams and Eric Williams, and two first-round draft picks for Carter.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:10 AM
too bad for 'Zo, I have always thought he was a quality person, but he's go tnothing but shyte from the NBA

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 02:59 AM
Taking in Carter is a big risk with his bad health and drop in production...and the Raptores didnt get a single really offensive-minded player in return.

Bad trade for both sides.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 07:36 PM
As a Jersey fan I'm happy with it...all we really lose is Eric Williams and in his palce get one of the league's best players - albeit an underachiever. If Kidd can connect with Carter on the court they'll be scary. But great to watch.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 07:39 PM
But, he admitted to not putting forth his best efforts. Not sure I'd wna that on my team.

new topics