It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Andrei Shevchenko crowned European Footballer of the year

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Milan striker Andrei Shevchenko is the new European Footballer of the Year, it has finally been confirmed.

Shevchenko succeeds Pavel Nedved as the Ballon D'Or winner, after beating Deco into second and Ronaldinho into third respectively. Arsenal's Thierry Henry was down in fourth place nearly 100 points behind Shevchenko.

"When I started playing football I dreamt to become a big player and to win a prestigious award like this," beamed the Ukraine star.

"I'm really happy. I feel myself a more complete and experienced player. But the most important thing is that I have learnt about winning."

Shevchenko was full of praise for his manager Carlo Ancelotti.

"With Carlo Ancelotti I have won and I become a winner," he said.

"Our coach is different in comparison to all the others with which I worked.

"He gives me a big tranquillity, he listens to you.

"With him you can talk as a former player in addition to as a coach - he is well prepared."

Greece's Theo Zagorakis took fifth, with Adriano in sixth and former holder Nedved in seventh. Wayne Rooney was the highest ranking England player as he came in eighth, ahead of Manchester United team-mate Ruud van Nistelrooy and Chelsea's Ricardo Carvalho who completed the top ten by being equal ninth. Other notable English-based performers were Milan Baros (12), Cristiano Ronaldo (12), Didier Drogba (17) and Frank Lampard (17).

Skysports

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
well done to shevchenko, he is a really amazing player and is complete, he is fast, scores all sort of goals, works very hard and is honest. he is from ukraine which isnt famous for having a football reputation really apart from dinamo kiev and now shaktar.

barcelona got the 2nd and 3rd best about shows they are a strong team.

good to see one of the greek players too doing well, remember him at leicester city when martin o'neill was there, not sure if he is still with them though

TRD

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I was a bit shocked Henri only finished 4th. But Rooney did well to get in at no8....

join