It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Chiefs waiting to make decision on Holmes, may be out for season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Priest Holmes consulted with doctors and team officials Wednesday amid signs the star running back may be done for the year.

Kansas City Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said Wednesday a final decision would be made Thursday.

"It's all been evaluated," Vermeil said. "I think we'll know something (Thursday)."

Holmes, who set an NFL record last year with 27 touchdowns, was leading the NFL in rushing and scoring when he sprained ligaments in his right knee against Tampa Bay on Nov. 7.

The recovery time originally was estimated at four weeks. But he will miss his fifth straight game when the Chiefs play Monday night at Tennessee, and he and the team both have expressed disappointment over how slowly the injury was healing.

The Chiefs (4-8) have been eliminated from playoff contention and will have only three games left after Monday night.

Holmes was the NFL's player of the month for October when he had 100-yard rushing games in three of four outings and scored nine touchdowns while catching 10 passes for another 170 yards and a TD.

At the time, he was leading the NFL with 833 yards rushing, 84 points and 14 touchdowns and on pace to be the first NFL player to score 20-plus touchdowns rushing in three consecutive seasons.

At his weekly luncheon Tuesday, Vermeil seemed to raise for the first time the possibility of Holmes missing the rest of the year.

"I don't want Priest Holmes to feel pressure, because the most important thing is that he heals properly so he can come back and be 100 percent next year," Vermeil said. "If it means sitting out (the season) and that's the best thing to do, that's exactly what we'll do."

Holmes underwent hip surgery after the 2002 season. He spoke about retiring last spring.

CBS

TRD

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It looks like Priest is done for the season as they placed him on the IR and he won't be allowed to return..

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Good for Larry Johnson...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I am not surprised by this. They want Priest back for next year and they are out of the playoffs this year. No sense in breaking your running back.

The thing that surprises me is the lack of detail on his injury. Normally you see long articles on the stars about the different doctor opinions, or how it is going to affect the team. Things just seem strangely quiet in regards to Holmes.

I look at it this way, if Johnson can prove his worth, trade away Blaylock for some defense. Make Johnson the #2 guy behind Priest. From what I can tell, Holmes is under contract until '07. Not sure if you want to keep Johnson in the background that long. Might want to trade Johnson for a couple good defensive players and keep Blaylock. Or you could do the ultimate, trade Priest Holmes. Scarry thought.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Hmmm..... being a Raiders fan you can imagine how deeply this saddens me. (ROLLS ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING SO HARD MY APPENDIX BURSTS)

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BgirlRAIDERETTE20
Hmmm..... being a Raiders fan you can imagine how deeply this saddens me. (ROLLS ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING SO HARD MY APPENDIX BURSTS)

I'm sorry hon, but they have johnson there to back him up, I get the feeling he's gonna have a monster game tonight...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Interesting point, Cray. I have not heard anything very definitive on this injury yet either. That does not bode well for those who worship at the altar of the Priest.

No doubt this year is over for the mighty Chiefs. Go get some defenders, you native american losers.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
they have johnson there to back him up, I get the feeling he's gonna have a monster game tonight...

Good call Gibbs, those two long TD runs were sweet. Just like his Happy Valley days.

top topics

join