It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Coca-Cola Championship results 04/12/04

page: 1

log in


posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:01 PM
Coca-Cola Championship leaders Ipswich came from two goals behind to draw 2-2 with Crewe at Gresty Road.

Dean Ashton continued his fine recent form, scoring twice to give the Railwaymen a two-goal lead at the break and taking his seasonal tally to 17 goals. But Joe Royle's side fought back with goals from Richard Naylor and Darren Bent securing a point and a two-point lead at the summit.

Sunderland missed the chance to move level on points with the leaders after losing 2-0 to West Ham at the Stadium of Light. Steve Caldwell was given a straight red card for violent conduct just before the break - and his team-mates struggled in the second half. Marlon Harewood scored after 59 minutes and veteran Teddy Sheringham added a second in the final stages.

Wolves defied the form book to record a convincing 4-1 win over promotion-chasing Reading at Molineux. Colin Cameron and Seyi George Olofinjana put the home side in a commanding position before Dean Morgan pulled one back for the Royals. A late brace from 19-year-old Leon Clarke secured the points for managerless Wolves.

Nottingham Forest recorded a vital win against QPR at the City Ground. Andy Reid missed a penalty after 15 minutes but tucked in the rebound to open the scoring. Georges Santos levelled for the visitors in the second half but Jack Lester, who recently re-signed for Forest, scored the winner after 58 minutes.

Lester's former club Sheffield United won 2-1 at Millwall in a bad-tempered clash at the New Den. Blades goalkeeper Paddy Kenny and Lions midfielder Kevin Muscat were sent off for violent conduct on the stroke of half-time. The home side took the lead through Mark Phillips on 58 minutes but late strikes from Andy Liddell and Derek Geary gave Neil Warnock's side the three points.

Paul Wotton scored a last-minute penalty for Plymouth against Burnley at Home Park. Argyle dominated throughout but it looked as though the visitors would hang on for a point until Tony Grant was penalised for handball in injury time.

Bottom club Rotherham could not build on their first win of the season at home to Leeds on Monday- and were beaten by a late goal against Brighton. Daniel Harding scored with eight minutes remaining to give the Seagulls the points at the Withdean Stadium.

Cardiff won the relegation battle against Gillingham at Ninian Park. The Gills, who are still looking for a new manager, were behind after 13 minutes when Cameron Jerome struck. Tommy Johnson levelled after 33 minutes but Peter Thorne restored the lead from the penalty spot just before the break. Thorne added a third early in the second half to seal the 3-1 win.

Derby grabbed a point with a thrilling comeback at Pride Park against Coventry. Stephen Hughes scored the opener for the Sky Blues after 13 minutes - and they looked set to take the points when Dele Adebola added a second with 10 minutes left. But Grzegorz Rasiak gave the Rams hope with a strike three minutes from full-time and Paul Peschisolido scored in injury time.

Leicester beat Leeds 2-0 in the battle between two of the clubs relegated from the top flight last season. Lilian Nalis scored the first goal after 48 minutes and a Gary Kelly own goal late on ensured Craig Levein's side took the points.


[Edited on 4/12/04 by TRD]

new topics

log in