It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Parcells taking the role of a fool?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Bill Parcells have never given anyone a reason to call him a fool until now. Since the start of this season, he along with the Dallas Cowboys big shot owner, Jerry Jones have made some moves that brings along the reason to use such a word. Fools they are...

The Cowboys and Parcells are experiencing problems at the Quarterback position, because they cannot come to a conclusion on who should be the starter. The 41-year-old Vinny Testaverde was handed the job in training camp in August after the Cowboys released Quincy Carter, because he ran into some off the field trouble. He was given a suspension by the NFL, and soon after the Cowboys released him. But that was no reason to release him was it? Well Parcells and Jones said at the time that they made the right decision, because they felt they had two good Quarterbacks on the team. They meant Vinny Testaverde, and Drew Henson, who for the past couple years has been playing minor league baseball for the New York Yankees.

At the time I didn't understand why that move was made, and why Carter wasn't given a fair shot to play Quarterback for the Cowboys after he led them to a 10-6 record and a playoff birth last season. And now the Cowboys are 4-7, and have no clue which direction they are going when talking about Quarterbacks.

One minute its Testaverde, because according to Parcells, "He gives us a better chance to win the game" and the owner Jones is saying, "Drew Henson is athletic enough to make us better at that position."

Between the owner and the coach, the Cowboys do not know which direction they are going. In the last game against the Chicago Bears on Thanksgiving Day, Henson made his first start, but only wound up playing up to halftime, because Parcells said, "he had enough of that."

What a confidence booster for the kid Parcells. Instead, he went back to Testaverde, the old vet, and grandpa of the team. It resulted in a victory for the Cowboys.

But so what! They were playing the bears. A man on crutches could of beaten the bears, even though they were on a little roll going into that game.

Parcels made a foolish move by changing Quarterbacks at halftime. If he wanted Testaverde to play so bad, he shouldn't have made the change in the first place. But I guess, it might have been the owners call on that one. And we know Parcells likes to make his own calls. But, by doing that he automatically made Henson question his abilities as a Quarterback. And he surely made the team lose the little confidence that they had for the young man. Parcells is saying, "he doesn't want to mess the kid up by throwing him out there the rest of the season."

But he doesn't realize he accomplished that when he pulled him out of the game.

So what is going to happen now? Are the Cowboys going to win their next five games with Testaverde as a Quarterback?

I think not. I do not think they would have won out with Henson either, but at least Parcells could have used the excuse that he is looking towards the future. I think the Cowboys gave their season away when they traded away Quincy Carter. It was a dumb move then and it is certainly a dumb move now.

How 'bout them Cowboys!

By Librado Wright

Copyright Librado Wright 2004

[Edited on 12/3/04 by SportzWriter]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Sounds like the pair of them, Parcells and Jones havnt a clue between them.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
No one here to defend them? Thats a shame.

They should have stuck by Carter and not dumped him. Vinny is getting too old and his feet are like he has stepped in glue. They should get Henson in and give him a try to see if he will come good. I can't see Vinny playing next season so i would get him in now. Or else get shot of Parcells as he seems to have lost his brain, the part that you have to think with, the older he gets.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
does anyone else here have the feeling that the older coaches in sports are having trouble relating and motivating todays generation of "me,me,me" atheletes, look at the record....joe gibbs, bill parcells, mike holmgren, all proven winners in the past but with todays atheletes they seem to be floundering and out of touch

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I think it's just the "win now, or else" mentality in the sports world today.

On the other side of the spectruym, tj, look at what Hubie Brown did with the Grizzlies last year, or Leyland with the Marlins the other season. than there's Parcells last year. If anything, they may be having trouble adjusting to the salary caps and whatnot, but coaching is still coaching.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I agree, Toe. You can add Vermeil to your list. My theory is that it all started with the old Italian guy who beat the Yankees in the World Series a few years back.

The idea that they are old school, teaching football fundamentals is great - but I quetion whether Vince Lombardi would be a great coach today. Would today's guys buy into his style and his spin. I don't think so.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
If that theory holds true, how do you account for older coaches who succeed. What's the deal with Schottenheimer? Or Vermiel since he came out of retirement (the first time)?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There are exceptions to the rule, Gibbmeister. I'm not sayimg that's it not possible - just that it seems increasingly less likely. And that's just a reaction - not based on any study.

If I can find the time I will prepare a chart showing the records of teams vis a vis the age of their coach and coaching staffs. That may produce interesting, possibly crusiing results.

BTW, I don't mean anything personal about your Dad, he's been a great coach in the past.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Hey, I wish he was my Ded, I'd have 50 yard line tickets every game

TRD

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I agree with the 'old guy' comment. Younger coaches in most sport bring new ideas and methods to the ever changing game.

What might work is a Younger coach in charge and an older coach as his no2. This works in soccer as they pass on valuable information...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportzWriter
The 41-year-old Vinny Testaverde was handed the job in training camp in August after the Cowboys released Quincy Carter, because he ran into some off the field trouble. He was given a suspension by the NFL, and soon after the Cowboys released him. But that was no reason to release him was it?

Carter wasn't given a fair shot to play Quarterback for the Cowboys after he led them to a 10-6 record and a playoff birth last season.

I can't see how anyone who knows football could put "fool" and Parcells in the same sentence.

I think it's quite obvious why they released Quincy. His off-the-field antics were a distraction to the team and Parcells was sending a message that that kind of behavior wont be tolerated. He felt Quincy let him down and that he couldn't trust him. As much as I'd rather see a young, athletic Quincy in there over an aged, slow Vinny I fully support Parcell's decision.

top topics

join