It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Barry Bonds speaks out now, admits steroid use!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
In those pics at least, Sosa doesn't seem to have been as increased in size as the rest of the lot.

TRD

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I just checked them pictures and this guy Ken Caminiti looks huge now...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I just checked them pictures and this guy Ken Caminiti looks huge now...

He's not huge now, he's dead. Ken Caminiti is the exact reason NOT to do steroids. I know he abused coc aine as well but the steroids sure didn't help. Such a sad ending to a good guy and a good ballplayer.

www.sportztawk.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Such a sad ending to a good guy and a good ballplayer.

Maybe, but he was a 'roid abuser and a coke head, maybe he wasn't so nice.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Baker thinks Barry didn't know

Baker also feels for Aaron

Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Dusty Baker believes Barry Bonds didn't know the substances provided by his trainer were steroids.

"If he said that to a grand jury, those are words you go by," Bonds' former manager said Saturday at baseball's winter meetings.

Baker said he felt for Bonds, who according to a report in the San Francisco Chronicle told a grand jury last December that he used substances that prosecutors have identified as steroids -- but did not know they were steroids.

"I've never seen a guy who works harder than Barry," said Baker, manager of the Chicago Cubs for the past two years after 10 seasons in San Francisco.

The 40-year-old Bonds has 703 homers, including 42 last season, trailing only Babe Ruth (714) and Hank Aaron (755).

"He's still the king," Baker said of Aaron, a former teammate on the Atlanta Braves. "Barry's on his trail. Barry's better at this age, Hank was better at a younger age."

Baker said he felt for Aaron, too, since he's been the unwanted center of attention recently.

"Hank's not in this, other than his record," Baker said. "Hank's a private dude. This has kind of made him less private."

Baker thinks his sport has been damaged by the steroid issue.

"It's not the first time baseball's been hurt by something," he said. "They're in the process of cleaning things up. This is a long ways from being over."

Meanwhile, Baker has his own problems with the Cubs, who didn't make the playoffs last season due to a late-season slump.

"That's probably the toughest ending I've had since '93, my first year of managing when we finished one game behind the Braves," Baker said. "At the end of the year, I was beat up pretty good. That's the first year I haven't been to the playoffs in a long time."

Baker hasn't spoken with Sammy Sosa since the end of the season. Sosa said in October he had been humiliated by being dropped to sixth in the lineup and claimed he was mistreated by the team.

The Cubs have talked about trading Sosa, who has 574 career homers. He has one year left on his contract that will pay him $17 million, and the deal contains an $18 million club option for 2006 with a $4.5 million buyout. If Sosa is traded, his 2006 salary becomes guaranteed and a 2007 club option is added at $19 million with a $4.5 million buyout.

"Everybody's going to leave at some time," Baker said. "I didn't know anything was wrong until I read about it. I'll talk to him when I see him. I didn't have a problem at all. The problem came from the other side."

Sosa hit .253 last season -- his lowest average since 1997. He had 35 homers and 80 RBI, ending his run of nine straight 100-RBI seasons.

"The last couple of years, he's been hurt," Baker said. "You look at (Mark) McGwire, one year he hit .200. There's a lot of guys I've seen repair their careers."

The season ended on a sour note for Sosa and the Cubs, who were eliminated from wild-card contention on the second-to-last day. Sosa arrived late to the finale at Wrigley Field and then left the game early without playing. He was fined $87,500 -- one day's salary.

ESPN

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
talk about having your head in the sand and toeing the company line, sounds like dusty didn't know nothin bout nothin...wake up and smell the coffee

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
plain and simple.... bonds dont deserve the records, the mvp's, and other recognition like that. he deserves to be banned from the hall of fame- if they will ban pete rose for gambling then y not ban barry bonds because of cheating? bonds is the perfect chance for pro sports to clear up steroid use. use bonds as an example for punishment. if anyone is caught w/ steroids they should be banned from that sport indefinately & all of the records and awards should be given back. they need to lay the hammer down hard or it will continue!

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by beckman
plain and simple.... bonds dont deserve the records, the mvp's, and other recognition like that. he deserves to be banned from the hall of fame- if they will ban pete rose for gambling then y not ban barry bonds because of cheating? bonds is the perfect chance for pro sports to clear up steroid use. use bonds as an example for punishment. if anyone is caught w/ steroids they should be banned from that sport indefinately & all of the records and awards should be given back. they need to lay the hammer down hard or it will continue!

I'm with ya on this.

I just worry about the value of his rookie card

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
i found this article by 2 doctors about the benefits and dangers of steroid use by atheletes, it is quite long but well worth the time to read it

www.hardballtimes.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join