It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Barry Bonds speaks out now, admits steroid use!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Giants star admitted using substances but said he never thought they were steroids.

Barry Bonds told a federal grand jury that he used a clear substance and a cream supplied by the Burlingame laboratory now enmeshed in a sports doping scandal, but he said he never thought they were steroids, The Chronicle has learned.

Federal prosecutors charge that the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative, known as BALCO, distributed undetectable steroids to elite athletes in the form of a clear substance that was taken orally and a cream that was rubbed onto the body.

Bonds testified that he received and used clear and cream substances from his personal strength trainer, Greg Anderson, during the 2003 baseball season but was told they were the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a rubbing balm for arthritis, according to a transcript of his testimony reviewed by The Chronicle.

Federal prosecutors confronted Bonds during his testimony on Dec. 4, 2003, with documents indicating he had used steroids and human growth hormone during a three-year assault on baseball's home run record, but the Giants star denied the allegations.

During the three-hour proceeding, two prosecutors presented Bonds with documents that allegedly detailed his use of a long list of drugs: human growth hormone, Depo-Testosterone, undetectable steroids known as "the cream" and "the clear," insulin and Clomid, a drug for female infertility sometimes used to enhance the effect of testosterone.

The documents, many with Bonds' name on them, are dated from 2001 through 2003. They include a laboratory test result that could reflect steroid use and what appeared to be schedules of drug use with billing information, prosecutors told the grand jury.

In a September 2003 raid on Anderson's Burlingame home, federal investigators seized documents they said showed Bonds was using banned drugs, according to court records. Anderson was indicted in February on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to distribute steroids in the BALCO case.

Rest of the story from The San Francisco Chronicle.........

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2004/12/03/BALCO.TMP

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
well it has hit the fan now, i find it hard to believe that these guys were so naive that they honestly believed they were only using supplements, to me it is criminal that the players association has provided the opportunity for this kind of abuse for years, and that selig has let it go on for so long without having the spine to meet the problem head on and deal with it....this era of greedy owners and greedier players will go down in the history books along with the black sox as dark days for the wonderful game of baseball

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Why would you put something in your body if you had no idea what it was? I'm not buying it, they're all guilty IMO.

What would Bobby say about all this? :angry-smiley-034:

Ben

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I told you guys in the other threads that i thought he had used him, as his size and strength and HR abillity went up. Everything is tranished now

TRD

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Same here Ben, i kept bashing it that he did take something and that he KNEW what it was. I also said awhile back that there was a rumor that it was a growth hormone, looks like they are saying that in PA's article aswell as other things.

What about Bonds saying repeatedly that he is clean and he never took anything at all?

Kinda makes him a big fat liar now...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
So where does it end? Who all has been on the juice? what about other sports? Thisis gonna be on-going, and there will probably be many changes in sports as we know them in the near future.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Think about how this affects MLB next year.

This upcoming season looked like it was going to be a historical one with Bonds a lock to pass Babe Ruth sometime in the spring and if he had another monster year, a chance to catch Hank Aaron. This is dollar $ign$ in the business aspect, Barry would have sold out every park he played in, home or away. I think alot of people will lose any interest in what these guys do now and I'm sure the suits in MLB are crying.

Not to mention the blackeye that it leaves on the integrity of America's pasttime.

TRD

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   
What about Bonds though?

Will he be allowed in the Hall of Fame?

You know everything he has done now since 2000 is pretty suspect including his 73 homer season. Bonds stood there and lied thinking he was untouchable, but he got it wrong.

From '98, he had 411 homers in 6,621 at-bats, one per 16.1 at-bats.

The next two years, as he acquired and adjusted to a new body, he hit 83 in 835 at-bats, one per 10 at-bats.

In the past four seasons, from ages 37 to 40, Bonds hit 209 home runs in 1,642 at bats, one every 7.9 at bats.

IMO all them records are a lie and he doesn't deserve to go in the hall of fame.

[Edited on 4/12/04 by TRD]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
No doubt Bonds records are tainted. But what of the future?

As these enhancers become less and less detectable, the more and more pressure there wil be for people to use them. If they do, and get caught - they're out; if they don't use them, they don't even get a chance to be kicked out because they won't make it in the first place - they won't be able to compete.

The 20/20 show last night was a real eye opener. The BALCO guy is so cocksure they can make these things invisible ("like taking candy from a baby") kind of makes me cringe about the future of sports.

[Edited on 12/4/04 by MingMercil]

[Edited on 12/4/04 by MingMercil]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
that's what i'm saying, Ming, what about the future for all of sports? Where will it end? will steriods become an acdepted part of competition?

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
as i said in an earlier post this is a problem that needs to be adressed and stopped now...the fact that these substances were not specificly banned should not make any difference, bond's insistance that he never knowingly took steroids is laughable, it is right up there with bill clinton sticking with the story that he never had sex with monica, barry must think that thefans who buy the tickets that pay his salary are really stupid....i still say that any player who is cought using crap like this should be banned for life and all the numbers erased from the record books,,,make them the black sox....non entities in the great game of baseball

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
here is hank aaron's take on the situation

HOF and asterisks not up to Aaron

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Once a supporter and admirer of Barry Bonds, all-time homerun king Hank Aaron is now disturbed to hear Bonds' statements to a grand jury investigating a California lab for illegal steroids distribution, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Sunday.

Bonds testified to a grand jury that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by a trainer who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but Bonds said he didn't know they were steroids, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

"First, since I played the game myself, I know that you can't put something in your body to make you hit a fastball, changeup or curveball," Aaron told the Journal-Constitution on Saturday.

"The only person who can do that is the good Lord. But, at that age [40], you have to ask: Did he accomplish all of this by rejuvenating his strength from day to day with those substances? I know that when you reach a certain age, you just don't bounce back as quickly as you think you can when you're playing all of those games.

"Drugs won't help you hit the ball. But can they make you recuperate consistently enough to hit the kind of home runs that these guys are hitting?"

Aaron paused, sighed and added, "Let me say this. Any way you look at it, it's wrong."

Is it wrong enough to keep Bonds out of the Hall of Fame or force baseball to place an asterisk next to Bonds' slew of records in recent years?

"Really, I can't argue that point, because it's something that everybody [in a decision making] position has to sit down and think about, especially since this new Bonds thing is shedding a whole different light on the issue," Aaron said. "Is this thing involving Barry Bonds in the same category as the guy who gambled on baseball?"

Aaron's reference was to Pete Rose's banishment from the game for betting on baseball as a manager. Then Aaron added with another sigh, "It's gotten so that, baseball gets off to a good start, and then, 'Bam.' Something sends it rocking and reeling. I just wish we could have about four or five years without experiencing any of this stuff."

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Agreed, Toe, but the problem is, how do you stop it?

If these substances are increasingly undetectable, they just cannot be stopped. If that is the case, I guess we all will just have to learn to live with the possibiity that this star or that star is taking unfair (illegal) advantage, even if it cannot be proven. Its almost like there should be a separate set of records: One for Pre-Steroid use and one Post.

Hank Aaron was a truly great ballplayer. He is also a gentleman, who prefers not so anything unless he can say something positive.

In this situation there are no positives. What a shame that records like his and Ruth's, naturally brilliant athletes, are susceptible to being destroyed by cheaters.

[Edited on 12/5/04 by MingMercil]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
from todays si.com

1. The most astounding number to come out of the Barry Bonds steroid controversy is not that 93 percent of the 40,000-plus voters on a SI.com poll don't believe Bonds' claim that he was unaware he took steroids. The more intriguing number comes from Stats Inc., which reports that Bonds had never hit a home run longer than 450 feet before the 2000 season, when he turned 36. Since then, he's hit at least 21 homers of 450 feet or farther. Where can the 10 Spot sign up for flaxseed oil? That stuff is obviously dynami

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I just read an interesting article in this month's Esquire. They interviewed Dr. Se-Jin Le, whose research located the gene responsible for the protein myostatin, which inhibits the growth of muscle tissue. They also interview Dr. Lee Sweeney, who found the gene responsible for IGF-I (insulin-like growth factor), which stimulates muscle growth. Both have amazing medical possibilities, from muscular dystrophy to combating the effects of old age to help with cancer patients.

Now, the relevance to this thread, what if these genes can be artificially produced, and added as a supplement to a human, for the reason of competing better at sports? It'd be undetectable. So where does it end? We are entering a new world, and sport has to slomehow manage that, while maintaining the values that we hold so dear. Who knows what the answer is.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
from todays si.com
The most astounding number to come out of the Barry Bonds steroid controversy is not that 93 percent of the 40,000-plus voters on a SI.com poll don't believe Bonds' claim that he was unaware he took steroids.

Interesting tj. I checked a couple other sites and voted in the polls to view the results. He's got some 'splainin to do.

ESPN.com - 8 question poll

85.2% - Dont believe him.

14.8% - Believe him.

proxy.espn.go.com...

Cbssportsline.com

89.8% - He knew exactly what he was doing.

10.2% - His trainer duped him.

www.sportsline.com... (bottom left)

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Barry Bonds, 1989 and 2003

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I just saw this comparison on the Daily Show -

Giambi, rookie, 1991 -

Giambi, 2001 -

coincidence?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Interesting poll on the espn web site right now...whether your reaction to Barry's 756th homerun would be a boo or cheer...thus far 66.9% of 148000 say they would boo....

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
More pics can be found here (Sosa, Sheffield, Bret Boone, McGwire, Bonds, Giambi, Caminiti)............

journals.aol.com...

new topics

<<   2 >>

join