It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: NFL Rumors 1/12/04

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Browns may be watching Weis, Crennel closely
Boston Herald

The Herald's Michael Felger reports that Patriots assistant coaches Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel will get a chance to audition for Browns' head coaching job when the two teams play on Sunday.

Who will be Browns' next GM?
Akron Beacon Journal

The Beacon Journal's Terry Pluto reports that Phil Savage, Randy Mueller, Ron Hill, Tom Modrak, Bobby Grier, Floyd Reese and Ozzie Newsome may be on the Browns' front office wish list.

Cowboys may try to break up Jets' D-line
New York Daily News

The Daily News' Rich Cimini reports that the Cowboys may try to sign Jets defensive linemen John Abraham and Jason Ferguson.

Johnson isn't worth big bucks
Cincinnati Enquirer

Enquirer columnist Paul Daugherty doesn't think that the Bengals should re-sign Rudi Johnson if the running back demands a $6 million per year contract.

Chiefs may go on spending spree
Kansas City Star

The Star's Ivan Carter reports that John Abraham, Charles Woodson, Fred Smoot, Kendrell Bell, Jerry Porter, Plaxico Burress, Marvin Harrison, Darren Howard, Chike Okeafor, Shaun Rogers, Mark Fields, Edgerton Hartwell and Gary Baxter are among the free agents that the Chiefs could target in the offseason.

McCown's best play may be to leave team
Arizona Republic

A bright red suitcase was at quarterback Josh McCown's locker when the Cardinals finished practice Monday, and the symbolism did not escape the keen observation skills of the gathered journalists.

Davenport ready to cash in
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

When this season ends, Davenport will be a restricted free agent and the Packers are going to have to consider making a first-round tender offer to prevent him from leaving.

Tuna to go fishing for Jets' stars
New York Daily News

Abraham and Jason Ferguson are the only two starters without contracts for 2005 - and guess who's lurking in the weeds, waiting for a chance to sign them? Here's a hint: He's a larger-than-life Jersey guy, down on his luck in Big D.

Building success starts with franchise player at quarterback
San Francisco Chronicle

Tim Rattay could be serviceable if he had a decent supporting cast, but he is not a player to build a team around. Quarterback Matt Leinart of USC appears he could be, and so he's the answer to the most popular question in town this week...

Rumors Sources

FoxSports

ProSports Daily

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Haven't the Chiefs, or anyone else for that matter, learned that a spending spree does not equal results.

Look at the NE Pats, currently the paradigm for all teams to follow. I bet if Belichek were offered T.O. or Moss for $0.00 - he wouldn't take them. Teamwork and chemistry reign supreme. In this age of parity, as we are constantly reminded, the edge goes to cohesion and execution - not to the biggest payroll or the roster with the most stars.

Not exactly the same in baseball - but an analagous situation: Maybe Steinbrenner has finally learned that lesson in NY. You cannot buy a World Series - IT'S N-O-T ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!

Although from some of the numbers the Yanks have been throwing around, maybe he has learned nothing.

[Edited on 12/1/04 by MingMercil]

[Edited on 12/1/04 by MingMercil]

TRD

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wouldn't the Chiefs benefit from a couple of decent defense players and a wide reciever?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Sure, who wouldn't? But the rumors are bringing in name players. They should try the "no name " approach. It works better and lets you mold payers into your system, not the other way around. When are you guys gonna learn? How much more educating do I have to do around here anyway?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It's called a rumor fro a reason...

TRD

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MingMercil
How much more educating do I have to do around here anyway?

I thought that was the idea of a message board, learn from other people?

As for the Chiefs, they already have a pretty decent team. And bringing in a named player to fit their system would work imo, they just have to find the right one.

I agree that money doesn't buy success in some sports, ok one season they will get lucky but for long term success you need to build your team.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If the Chiefs find the right sort of player then yea a named one would work, but thats the same for every team. And finding one that would fit into your system is pretty hard.

Ming is right you need to bring them through and mold them into your team. But yea TRD i see where ya comming from, but it will be hard to find a player to slot straight in..

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I hate to say it, but TO seems to be fitting in quite nice with the Eagles, so it can be done...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
So it seems, Mr. Gibbs, so it seems. But as I see it, if the Eagles ever hit a rough streak, all hell is going to break loose on that team. As long as they are winning everyone is cool with TO, but should they lose a few, TO beter fire his choreographer and lay low.

new topics

top topics

join