It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Coca-Cola Championship results 27/11/04

page: 1

log in


posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:39 PM
Ipswich went top of the Coca-Cola Championship after a 1-0 win against Brighton at Portman Road. Shefki Kuqi scored after 22 minutes to earn all three points for Joe Royle's side.

Darren Bent had a chance to add a second but his team-mates held on to overtake Wigan at the summit, after the Latics could only manage a 1-1 draw against promotion hopefuls Reading. Alan Mahon opened the scoring for the visitors after 26 minutes at the Madejski Stadium - but Paul Jewell's side could not extend their lead and Lloyd Owusu levelled just before the break as the spoils were shared.

Michael Bridges scored his first goal in his second spell at Sunderland to secure the in-form Black Cats a valuable 1-0 win at Stoke. The former Leeds striker, whose career has been hit by a series of long-term injuries, struck after 83 minutes at the Britannia Stadium. Mick McCarthy's side moved level with Wigan on points but stayed in third because of an inferior goal difference.

QPR maintained their fine recent form with a 1-0 victory against Cardiff. Danny #tu scored the only goal of the game midway through the first half at Loftus Road - and Ian Holloway's men held on against the Bluebirds, who have not won away since September and are still in relegation trouble.

West Ham came from two goals down to beat Watford 3-2 in a thrilling clash at Upton Park. The Hammers were reeling after early goals from Brynjar Gunnarsson and Bruce Dyer but Nigel Reo-Coker pulled one back after 28 minutes and Darren Powell levelled two minutes later. Sergei Rebrov scored the winner after 58 minutes to rescue Alan Pardew's side.

Joleon Lescott's late strike earned Wolves a point in a 3-3 draw at Sheffield United. Seyi George Olofinjana opened the scoring for the visitors after seven minutes at Bramall Lane. Leigh Bromby levelled for the Blades but Carl Cort restored the lead for the managerless visitors. Goals from Paul Thirlwell and Paul Shaw gave Neil Warnock's side the scent of victory - until Lescott struck three minutes from time.

Graham Alexander inspired Preston to a convincing 3-0 win against Derby. The defender scored the opener after 13 minutes and doubled the lead with a spot-kick just before the break, before Richard Cresswell wrapped up the victory with a goal two minutes from full-time.

Robbie Blake scored the only goal of the game for Burnley against Millwall at Turf Moor. Kevin Muscat handled in the penalty area after 59 minutes and Blake stepped up to score past Graham Stack. The Clarets leapfrogged the Lions and are within touching distance of the play-off places.

Dean Ashton scored a controversial penalty as Crewe grabbed an unlikely win at Coventry. The home side were stunned when referee Paul Taylor awarded a penalty for an innocuous-looking challenge by Adie Williams on David Vaughan. Ashton scored his 14th goal of the season as his side crept further away from the relegation zone.

Pressure mounted on Nottingham Forest boss Joe Kinnear after his side squandered the lead against Gillingham. The Gills, who parted company with player-manager Andy Hessenthaler this week, went behind at Priestfield after Gareth Taylor's 14th-minute strike. But Darius Henderson scored from the spot after 76 minutes and Tommy Johnson scored the winner eight minutes from the end.

Leicester beat Plymouth 2-1 at the Walkers Stadium as old foes Craig Levein and Bobby Williamson met. The former Hearts manager was up against the former Hibernian boss - and it was Levein who took the points after goals from James Scowcroft and Dion Dublin. Tony Capaldi had given the visitors a lead in the ninth minute - but the Foxes fought back.



log in