It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: T.O in Primetime, Best QB Manning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Did anyone see that commercial with Terrell Owens on Monday Night football? Well I did, and for a minute I thought it was funny. But when I sat down and thought about what I saw, it became more apparent that it was uncalled for television. T.O needs to just stick to football.

First of all, that kind of sex scene shouldn't be on prime time television, especially before a football game. Most kids are up at that time watching that stuff. It's already bad enough that they are exposed to sex every minute of their lives, but to incorporate it with football, then that's down right crazy! Do not get it wrong, I enjoy T.O playing for the Eagles, and I enjoy certain commercials, but that didn't belong on T.V. If the cast of, "Desperate House Wives" wanted to promote their show, they should of used another way to do that or medium.

To make it any worse, I woke up the next day feeling good about the Eagles big win on Monday night where T.O had 8 catches for 130 yards and 3 touchdowns, all the sports channels I turned to wasn't talking about the big Eagles win, but the T.O commercial. I couldn't believe my ears. Was this stupid commercial really overshadowing the game? Especially, the game where everyone in America probably saw the best offensive half of the season. I found that just amazing, and I don't mean that in a good way either. Being frustrated about not being able to watch through any highlights of the game without hearing about the commercial, I turned off the television. I then turned on the radio, and found out quickly that all the talk radio shows was talking about that commercial too: "This is talk radio, let me know what you think about T.O last night. I'm not talking 'bout the game, I want to hear about what you think about his acting debut." I couldn't believe my ears. It was like the game never played. That's when I realized that society views about television have changed significantly over the years. A little skit like that downplayed three hours of spectacular football, (that's if you're a Eagles fan), especially on Monday night. I am happy that the Eagles won the game regardless of what's going on, but something needs to be done about having commercials like that being shown to young kids who are tuned in to see a game.

Best Quarterback Ever?

Well, Peyton Manning is making his case to be put in the class of the best Quarterbacks to ever play football. After having back to back games of throwing 5 touchdowns, he has pushed his season total to 31. That is remarkable, especially in only nine games. The NFL record for most touchdowns in a season is 48, set by Dan Marino. Manning is on pace to shattered that record. If he continues at this pace he will end up with 55 touchdowns on the season. And by doing that he could possibly be listed with the likes of Dan Marino, John Elway, and Joe Montanna. But even if he does break Marino's record and his place in that group, he will never be the best unless he wins a Championship. Marino didn't do it, but he holds multiple NFL records for a Quarterback. For Manning, to get beyond those shadows, he has to win at least one Championship before he retires. The team that he is playing for is not strong enough to win a title, and probably will never do so unless they upgrade their defense. So maybe the question should be, will Peyton Manning ever win a Championship?

By: Librado Wright

Copyright Librado Wright 2004

Ben

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Just because you surpass the record for most td's doesnt necessarily make you the best qb alive, or in histroy. Look at elway, he didnt have all the stats, but he won 2 rings more than Marino can say.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Lesse here...ESPN had a poll on its site, over 100k people responded... and 85% were ok with the advertisement.

I think this whole "controversy" has been overblown by people so worried about another superbowl-type incident they are going to cry over the most minor thing.

And I don't mean to ignore the feelings of the 15% of people who were offended...by all means, address their concerns and water down stunts like this, but don't make such a huge deal of it!

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Ok, well i didn't honestly think it was that bad but that is just my opinion.

There seems to be alot of people upset with this and especially some of the NFL team owners and coaches.

Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney called a steamy segment for the intro to "Monday Night Football" "disgraceful" and criticized ABC for "miserable" judgment.

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy found it racially offensive.

"To me that's the first thing I thought of as an African-American," Dungy said Wednesday.

"I think it's stereotypical in looking at the players, and on the heels of the Kobe Bryant incident I think it's very insensitive. I don't think that they would have had Bill Parcells or Andy Reid or one of the owners involved in that,"

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney called a steamy segment for the intro to "Monday Night Football" "disgraceful" and criticized ABC for "miserable" judgment.

Well, he is quite old, right? I'm sure his morals are prety set in stone, so I can understand him being upset. I don't agree, but I understand.

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy found it racially offensive.

"To me that's the first thing I thought of as an African-American," Dungy said Wednesday.

"I think it's stereotypical in looking at the players, and on the heels of the Kobe Bryant incident I think it's very insensitive. I don't think that they would have had Bill Parcells or Andy Reid or one of the owners involved in that,"

WTF? I wouldn't expect Dungy to be playing the race card. What about this skit makes it racist???

Would he have the same feelings if it would have been Tyra Banks and Favre?

I'm about the least racist person that I know, but I just do not understand where this is in the slightest bit racist.

new topics

top topics

join