It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid approaching earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   
According to NASA an object of 190 by 440 mtrs is closing in on our planet. The object, presumably an asteroid, was discovered in November. On 11 and 12 December it will be flying parallel to the earth. There have been UFO-sightings in the past preceding a disaster or other event!!

I hope this baby won't hit my country

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

[Edited on 10-12-2003 by Olafski]

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Give us a link! This sounds like a cool story!

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Fyi, I've found this topic on a dutch weblog. Here's the NASA-url...

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Hey we were talking about that in an old topic about Mars being close. And we were viewing that same applet. I forgot about that.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Wow.....

On sat night around 9pm I saw a huge fire ball shoot across the sky heading E-NE before it dissappeared behind some rooftops.
It was blue green when I saw it and left a smoke trail that was lit by the moon.
Pretty cool

Wonder if it is part of the same rock?

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hmmm. This may be what Stan Romanek was given a vision of.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone

That thought crossed my mind too.
Why are we not seeing this anywhere else?

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Wow, that bugger is gonna be close!! Within .044 AU!

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   
That still puts it, at it's closest point, at almost 4-5 million kilometers from Earth (depending on day)... I realize it isn't that far astronomically....but I'm not running for the bunker just yet...

[Edited on 10-12-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:31 PM
link   
where will it be visable??

would it be visable in australia and at approximatly what time will it be visable (in us time, then i can work out what time it would be in aus)

i might borrow my parents video camera if it's gonna be highly visable

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Why are we not seeing this anywhere else?

if there was an astronaut heading for earthi dont think we would hear about it until it hit, because by then nobody could do anything irrational. things like this in a way are better kept out of the publics eye. those who are interested will find out about it, and those who dont want to know wont.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I have no idea.. Ask your nearest newspaper or tv station...

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I doubt it will even be visible. There was a large asteroid which passed earth within the orbit of the moon, and it wasn't even detected until it was on it's way out.

Asteroids are really hard to see, because they tend to absorb light, not reflect them. The only ones we see are the ones which come into earth's atmosphere, and .044 AU is far from earth's atmosphere. So it sounds like there will be no visuals, unless it turns out to be some highly reflective material. Like gold. Imagine how quickly the space programs of every nation would grow if that happened!

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It will actually be 0.025 AU on the 12th & 13th.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
How many AUs is the Moon away from Earth? THe closest this thing is supposed to get is .025 AUs, im pretty sure that is much further than our Moon.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The moon is aproximatly 384,500 km from earth, which equates to .002 AU. Something tells me we might be ok... After all, this asteroid is going to pass at about 4.8 km from earth.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone

aah, Stan Romanek. Now there's a guy that has seen some crazy #. And he has video of it.
Does he still live in the Denver area?

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
so its not a alien invasion or a giant tidalwave, but a asteroid?

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
How many AUs is the Moon away from Earth? THe closest this thing is supposed to get is .025 AUs, im pretty sure that is much further than our Moon.

1 AU = 149,597,870.691 kilometers

Definition: An Astronomical Unit is the mean distance between the Earth and the Sun. It is a derived constant and used to indicate distances within a solar system. The Earth orbits at a distance of 1 AU from the Sun.

Technical Definition: AU is short for Astronomical Unit and defined as: the radius of a Keplerian circular orbit of a point-mass having an orbital period of 2*(pi)/k days (k is the Gaussian gravitational constant). Since an AU is based on radius of a circular orbit, one AU is actually slightly less than the average distance between the Earth and the Sun (approximately 150 million km or 93 million miles).

Historical Background: Tycho Brahe estimated the distance between the Sun and the Earth at 8 million kilometers (5 million miles). Later, Johannes Kepler estimated the AU was at 24 million kilometers (15 million miles). In 1672, Giovanni Cassini made a much better estimate by using Mars. By observing Mars from Paris and having a colleague, Jean Richer, also observe Mars at the same time in French Guiana in South America, Cassini determined the parallax of Mars. From that Cassini was able to calculate the distance from Earth to Mars, and then the distance from Earth to the Sun. Cassini calculated the AU to be at 140 million kilometers (87 million miles), which is lower, but very close to the modern day number.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

From Earth to the moon is 0.003 AU

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:59 AM
link   
It appears today is it's point of closest approach to earth...but it is still over 2,000,000 miles away.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join