It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Carling Cup results 09/11/04

page: 1

log in


posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:59 PM
Championship outfit Watford heaped more pressure on Southampton boss Steve Wigley with a 5-2 Carling Cup rout at Vicarage Road.

Bruce Dyer and James Chambers led the way for the Hornets as they completely outclassed a dismal Saints side to book their place in the quarter-finals. The home side enjoyed the lion's share of the early chances, with Dyer in particular proving to be a thorn in the side of the Southampton defence. He fired one shot wide, another just over and also headed Neil Ardley's free-kick over before eventually finding the back of the net with a firm header from another Ardley set piece.

Saints failed to create many chances although home goalkeeper Richard Lee had to smother Brett Ormerod's shot on the turn in the 14th minute. But Saints' main line of attack appeared to be aimless high balls, which the Watford defence dealt with comfortably. The pattern of Watford pressure continued after the break and they doubled their lead on 55 minutes when Chambers notched his first senior goal, volleying in Sean Dyche's flick-on from a corner. Chambers slotted home Dyer's cut-back in the 62nd minute before Heidar Helguson made it four with a superb 20-yard volley from Brynjar Gunnarsson's through-ball four minutes later. Dexter Blackstock pulled one back with a left-footed finish six minutes from time but Hameur Bouzza volleyed in the fifth straight from the kick-off. Ormerod headed in off the crossbar in the last minute for Saints but that was scant consolation for Wigley.

Arsenal's young guns showed their misfiring seniors the way as they powered to a 3-1 Carling Cup win over Everton at Highbury. Arsene Wenger's first team have spluttered in recent games so the boss turned to his next crop of talented youngsters, who outclassed the visiting Toffees to book a place in the quarter-finals.

Things started well for David Moyes' troops when Thomas Gravesen gave them an eighth-minute lead - but the hosts equalised through Quincy Owusu-Abeyie's strike on 26 minutes. With eight minutes of the second half gone, Arsenal were ahead after one of the finest goals seen at Highbury this season. Owusu-Abeyie was again the inspiration, refusing to allow a foul by Gravesen to interrupt his dazzling progress as he jinked past Alan Stubbs before picking out Robin van Persie inside the area. Rather than going for goal himself, van Persie had the awareness to square the ball back for Arturo Lupoli to finish from close range. The result was then put beyond any doubt when another flowing counter-attack saw the hosts swiftly break from defence to attack, with Lupoli sidefooting home his second of the night to seal a deserved win.

Robbie Keane's brace ensured Martin Jol enjoyed his first game as manager of Tottenham, who saw off Burnley 3-0 in the Carling Cup. Steve Cotterill's Clarets started brightly but failed to test keeper Paul Robinson with a flurry of early chances. They were made to pay for their wastefulness on 31 minutes, when Michael Carrick's surging run and cross left Robbie Keane with the simple task of a close-range tap-in for his fourth goal of the season.

Robinson pulled off two fine saves to deny Tony Grant and Mike Duff just before the interval. And Spurs doubled their lead seven minutes after the break when Jermain Defoe's sublime cross from the left flank again left Keane with an easy tap-in from six yards out. The visitors slipped into cruise mode and started fizzing the ball around. And it was no surprise when a third goal came, this time from the boot of Defoe, who latched on to a clever Keane flick-on and curled a delightful 20-yard shot past Burnley keeper Brian Jensen. Jensen denied sub Fredi Kanoute late on but Jol's troops saw the game out comfortably to secure a spot in the quarter-finals of the competition.

Two goals from striker Ayegbeni Yakubu gave Portsmouth a 2-0 win at Cardiff. After a dull first 45 minutes, Ayegbeni put the Premiership side in front wo minutes after the break. He then made the tie secure by firing home from the penalty spot nine minutes later.


posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:54 PM
Now we have Watford in the quarters they humiliated Saints.

new topics

log in