It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Mike Danton Sentenced to 7 1/2 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Mike Danton, arrested last season for allegedly trying to hire a hitman, was sentence to prison today. The Canadian native was got 7 1/2 years in federal prison. Danton is expected to ask to be moved to a prison in his home country. Also it is very unlikely that he will ever be able to play in the NHL again, and his contract with the Blues expired at the end of last season. Danton tried to hire a hitman to kill his agent for fear that his personal life would be shared with the Blues.

Associated Press
EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. - Former St. Louis Blues (news) player Mike Danton was sentenced Monday to 7 1/2 years in prison for trying to have his agent killed.

Danton, 24, said nothing as U.S. District Judge William Stiehl imposed the sentence.

"I do not believe in over 18 years on the bench I have been faced with a case as bizarre as this one," Stiehl said, noting that Danton chose a 19-year-old acquaintance and a police dispatcher as his would-be helpers in the murder plot.

The judge said the story Danton "concocted was not well thought out or very believable." He said, "The exact reasons you felt you needed to engage in a murder plot remain a mystery to me."

join