It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Bank of Scotland Scottish Premier results 06/11/04

page: 1

log in


posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:28 AM
Celtic capitalised on two dubious decisions by referee Steve Conroy to scrape a 2-1 win over Kilmarnock and stretch their lead at the top of the SPL to seven points.

The official sparked controversy when he awarded the home side a free-kick on the edge of the area which allowed Aiden McGeady to open the scoring in the 44th minute. But Conroy then further infuriated the visitors when he gave Celtic a penalty in the 64th minute after a David Lilley challenge on Henri Camara. Alan Thompson convered the spot-kick before Killie forward Colin Nish bagged a late consolation in the penultimate minute.

John Sutton came off the bench to head a late winner for Dundee in the Tayside derby against nine-man Dundee United. The visitors had looked to be holding out for a point despite having defenders Chris Innes and Mark Wilson sent off in a five-minute spell before the hour mark. But Sutton was sent on with 10 minutes remaining and headed home the only goal of the game five minutes later.

A deflected Liam Fox volley 10 minutes from time gave managerless Inverness a share of the spoils in their clash with Dunfermline at East End Park. A well-drilled strike from Pars midfielder Darren Young on 28 minutes had given the home side a 1-0 interval lead but the Highlanders, who lost manager John Robertson to Hearts during the week, refused to lie down. They pressed for most of the second half and Fox, who had only been on the park eight minutes as a replacement for Richard Hart, volleyed a 20-yard shot past Fifers keeper Derek Stillie for a deserved point.

In the day's other game, Hibernian skipper Ian Murray grabbed his first goal of the season to secure all three points against Motherwell. He nodded home with just under 10 minutes remaining to claim the only goal of the game and send Motherwell back to Fir Park empty-handed. Chances had been few and far between for both sides for most of the first half but the game sparked into life shortly before the interval.



log in