It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Happy with young CBs, Eagles give Brown six-year deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
PHILADELPHIA -- Sheldon Brown signed a six-year extension with Philadelphia on Thursday, keeping the second-year cornerback with the Eagles through the 2012 season.

"The most important part is that I'm glad the Eagles believe in me, an organization that drafted me and gave me a chance to pursue my NFL career," Brown said. "Now I'm more than anxious to prove that I can be worthy of the signing."

Brown received a $7.5 million signing bonus and the contract is worth $30 million over the six seasons, agent Jason Chayut told the Associated Press.

Brown, a second-round pick in 2002, and Lito Sheppard, a first-round pick that year, have developed into a formidable duo in their first season as full-time starters, helping the Eagles to a 7-0 start.

Brown is in his first season as a starter after playing in Philadelphia's nickel and dime defensive packages over the last two seasons. In 39 career games (10 starts), he has four sacks, three interceptions and 107 tackles. He has two sacks this season.

Entering the season, the main question on Philadelphia's defense was how well Sheppard and Brown could fill the void left by Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor, who both left through free agency.

Sheppard and Brown, both generously listed as 5-foot-10, are shorter and smaller than Vincent and Taylor, but their size hasn't been a factor. They held Amani Toomer and Ike Hilliard to seven catches combined in the opener and allowed Randy Moss just 69 yards a week later.

Last week, the Eagles signed wide receiver Greg Lewis to a five-year extension through the 2011 season. By signing Lewis and Brown now, the Eagles can assign some of the money to this year's salary cap, freeing up room for the 2005 season.

new topics

join