It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Stern: Officials will not slack off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- NBA Commissioner David Stern insisted Wednesday that players and coaches must adapt to tighter officiating this season or more players will foul out.

Stern said teams that expect officials to eventually slack off on league directives regarding defense are mistaken.

"If that's the way we're going to do it, then we will have a lot of 3½-hour games, and a lot of players fouling out," said Stern, in Memphis for the opening of the Grizzlies new FedExForum. "And it's not going to be the referees' fault. Ever. It will be the coaches and the players. Do I make myself clear?"

Stern said he is hearing complaints about tougher officiating, more players in foul trouble and games going over three hours.

Stern's visit was part of his opening-week tour of some NBA cities. He was in Detroit Tuesday night to present the Pistons with their championship rings.

He was scheduled to be in Charlotte on Thursday to attend the expansion Bobcats' first game when they host the Washington Wizards.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Maybe its dangerous to give the refs a "tougher officiating" demeanor...it seems to me lately that refs award fouls to players simply because they miss layups or shots they should've made under tough defense. They might figure "well, he missed the shot...so he MUST have been fouled!"

Ben

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
i hate how the players go into fouls! that is one thing i hate, the pump fake and then lean into the defender in order to get the call

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Kobe being the most prolific violator of that

top topics

join