It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Spurs Parker nixes $64 million, wants $68M

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- Tony Parker and the San Antonio Spurs have come to an impasse in talks of a contract extension, causing the point guard's agent to end negotiations, the San Antonio Express-News is reporting.

The Spurs offered $64 million for six years and Parker asked for $68 million, though a source close to the situation told the newspaper that the player would be willing to compromise at $66 million.

If a contract extension is not signed by Sunday, Parker will become a restricted free agent next off-season and the Spurs will have the right to match any offer he accepts.

"We've been told [Spurs chairman] Peter Holt won't pay a penny above $64 million," Marc Fleisher, Parker's agent, told the Express-News. "We respectfully think Tony's value is higher and that it just makes more sense for him to wait until the summer."

Fleisher expected a new proposal this week before the Spurs informed him that an increase would not be forthcoming. Parker had said last week that he was "very confident" a deal could be nailed down.

Still, he's hopeful the Spurs will reconsider.

"I would like to get it done, but I don't know if we will be able to," Parker said. "Marc says the Spurs' offer isn't fair. He thinks we can do better in the summer. He might be right."

At $64 million, Parker would be getting far more than the $52 million over six years that Manu Ginobili got over the summer and would trail only Tim Duncan (seven years, $122 million) and David Robinson (six years, $66 million) in team history.

Parker is seeking substantially less than what some other rookies of his year have received. Memphis' Pau Gasol recently got a max six-year, $86 million extension and Utah's Andrei Kirilenko, another Fleisher clients, reportedly is getting the same max deal. New Jersey's Richard Jefferson signed for $76 million over six years.

"I think there's a good chance he could get a max deal next summer," Fleisher said.

Some Spurs' officials privately agree, according to the News-Express, though Parker is taking a gamble because the league's collective bargaining agreement expires at the end of the season. Plus, there's the chance of serious injury.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Bah, gimme a break.

What's the difference between 64 and 68 million? Yeah I know, about 4 million. But seriously, thats just greedy IMO.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
yeah that's pretty much a bunch of crap. i'd assume the team would pay it, but i would laugh if they dropped him for asking for an extra 4 million. that would be great. hehe.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kooshdoctor
yeah that's pretty much a bunch of crap. i'd assume the team would pay it, but i would laugh if they dropped him for asking for an extra 4 million. that would be great. hehe.

Yeah, then ya'll go tme....

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
haha oh yeah, i wasn't even thinking about that. somehow i really think that parker is gonna stay...i can't imagine they'd drop him. i wouldn't worry too much.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Yeah, he's ther efor sure, just gettin ya goat...

new topics

top topics

join